Chapter 9

This promised to be a long evening.

Bao Sir tiredly massaged his temples.

As he expected, Bai Yutong's stubborness kicked in and did not allow that workaholic to leave out even the tiniest detail.

But Bao Sir only had himself to blame. After all it was he who always stressed Yutong to not stop working on a case until it's finished.

But he only realised to what kind of extent this had grown only now.

He even began to wonder if maybe Bai Yutong was not human. That would explain his outstanding physical abilities and handsome features as well.

He shook his head, bewildered at his stupid thoughts. He really was just too tired.

Bai Yutong, that damn kid.

"Bao Sir, about this..."

Bai Yutong held up yet another document and the chief looked at him in horror.

He had enough of this. No, this had to stop now.

"Enough! Go home already, it's late. You can still continue tomorrow."

"But it's not even three yet! I can still work! And I don't want to go home!"

Bai Yutong exclaimed and pouted like a child who refused to leave when it was playing at a friend's place.

Indeed, inhuman, Bao Sir concluded.

"You might not want to go home, but I do! My wife probably wonders where I am already."

Bao Sir countered, unnerved by him and his sudden childish outburst.

He immediately regretted what he said when he caught on to Bai Yutong's stiffened expression.

"Bao Sir can go home then, we don't want your wife to worry. I'll stay for just a little while longer."

Bai Yutong's expression quickly changed and he gave Bao Sir a professional smile before he focused on the documents infront of him again.

Bao Sir scolded himself inwardly. That was really tactless of him. Talking about his wife waiting for him at home when Bai Yutong had to return to an empty apartment because Zhan Yao was in prison.

Now a little softer, he turned to Bai Yutong again.

"Don't stay too long. Remember to sleep, it won't help if you collapse as well."

Unfortunately, Bao Sir's personality didn't allow him to talk any gentler or give more comforting words so this clumsy attempt was already the best he could do.

Then he left and Bai Yutong was left alone with his documents.

Only a single lamp burned in the empty office throughout the night.

ΨΨΨ

Bai Yutong woke up to noises coming from outside. He had spent the night on the sofa in Zhan Yao's office, looking over all documents and files regarding the case.

Groggily he stood up and made his way to the door.

Outside, he was greeted by a chaotic sight.

Zhao Fu and Wang Shao were competing over a bag of snacks while Ma Han only stared at them disapprovingly. Their hacker sat in front of her screen - for once not sleeping - mumbling to herself and giggling creepily which both confused and scared Bai Chi who eyed her warily. In front of the door to the autopsy room stood Bai Jintang and tried to convince Gongsun, who had locked himself inside, to let him in.

Bai Yutong sighed heavily and tried to stop the headache that was slowly spreading by massaging his temples. Why could his team not behave like normal humans for a change?

"HEY! BE QUIET ALREADY AND GET OVER HERE! STAND IN LINE!"

The captain roared and everyone immediately looked at Bai Yutong. Gongsun also stepped out of the autopsy room.

They hadn't expect Bai Yutong to be here already.

Quickly, they followed the command of their captain and fell in line in front of him.

"We have a new case."

He finally announced.

The team collectively let out a sigh of relief for not being scolded by Bai Yutong.

They curiously looked at him and waited for his briefing.

"It's Zhan Yao's case."

The whole team looked at him dumbfounded.

ΨΨΨ

After Bai Yutong explained the situation the team needed a bit of time to fully comprehend everything.

The whole thing with Professor Zhan's arrest was a heavy blow and Bai Yutong's temper was horrible - unbearable - the weeks after that.

Of course they never truly believed Zhan Yao to be guilty but the whole situation was still hard to grasp.

Bai Chi meekly raised his voice.

"I-I-In other words: Professor Zhan deliberately went to prison because he would be safer there and because by doing so the criminals would not attack the people close to him?"

Bai Yutong nodded reluctantly. He still didn't approve of the idea. But it was Zhan Yao's descision so he tried to just accept it for now.

"And what do we do now?"

Ma Han asked cautiously. She still wasn't sure if Bai Yutong's mood was stable enough to unnecessarily irritate him by saying something wrong.

He had been truly terrifying the past weeks.

"You all are going out to find more information on this criminal organization. Zhao Fu and Wang Shao: go undercover and dig around. Jiang Ling: you go ask your online friends and find out everything about them. If you sleep again and miss anything I'll cut your bonus and let you clean the toilets your whole life. Ma Han will infiltrate their group since you did a good job last time already. Bai Chi: you sort out the information the others give you, alright? Any questions?"

"I can also ask around a bit. They dare to mess with Xiao Zhan, do they have a death-wish?"

Bai Jintang's gaze was murderous.

"Thanks, brother."

Bai Yutong was truly greatful for the support. His brother had great influence in the city in all kinds of social layers so his help would be of good use.

"B-B-But Bai Sir, what will you do?"

Little Bai Chi asked and Bai Yutong's expression turned dark immediately. The team got really worried and thought the child was going to get himself killed but Bai Yutong's change in expression wasn't directed at his younger cousin.

"I'll go visit Zhao Jue."