The Transfer

Nearly 7 hours had passed since shots rang-out in Dealey Plaza and life as was known on the morning of November 22, 1963 had changed forever. Vigils had been set up across the country and the world as people awaited word on the president's condition. Blacks and whites, Jews and Catholics, Americans and Russians united in prayer for John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

Meanwhile, Governor Connolly had been in surgery since arriving at Parkland Hospital and was in critical but stable condition and Vice President Johnson was help up on Air Force One at Love Field Airport, refusing to leave without word on the president and Mrs. Kennedy.

For the time being, the president's condition was being kept under wraps as decisions about his transfer and treatment were being finalized. The media was in a frenzy to get an update on his condition but his staff and the Secret Service were staying tight lipped. Hospital personnel that had been treating the president had been ordered to confidentiality not only on the grounds of patient/doctor privilege but on the grounds of national security.

As investigators from the Dallas Police, Secret Service and FBI sought answers and searched for evidence in regards to the shooting of the president, a man by the name of Lee Harvey Oswald had been arrested in connection with the shooting of a Dal...

As investigators from the Dallas Police, Secret Service and FBI sought answers and searched for evidence in regards to the shooting of the president, a man by the name of Lee Harvey Oswald had been arrested in connection with the shooting of a Dallas Police Patrolman, Officer J.D Tippit. Oswald was said to have been an employee of the Texas School Book Depository and therefore a prime suspect in the shooting of the president and Governor Connolly as he had not been accounted for immediately after the shooting. With one man in custody and a rifle having been found on the 6th floor of the depository, investigators where formulating a case against Oswald as the attempted assassin.

Unbeknownst of a greater conspiracy that may have been associated with the shooting, maximum measures of security were being adhered to in order to protect the president and vice president. Love Field had been shut down for all flights while the vice president kept cover on Air Force One and Parkland was surrounded by law enforcement. The White House was on lock down and the Kennedy children taken to an undisclosed location with Mrs. Shaw and Jackie's mother, Mrs. Auchincloss.

As the outside world awaited word on the president, Mrs. Kennedy, Dr. Burkley, the presidential staff and Secret Service were finalizing arrangements for the president's transfer to Fort Hood. The 160 mile transfer would require extreme care with monitors, nurses and Dr. Burkley readily available at all times. An ambulance transfer was being ruled out as there was not enough room for the necessary equipment and personnel including Mrs. Kennedy, as she refused to leave the presidents side, Agent Hill and the presidents lead agent.

It had been decided that a military emergency rescue helicopter, the Bell UH-1B (Huey), serve as the transport agent to Fort Hood. Its size, functionality and ability to take off and land without any significant impact as well as its 170 mph flight speed, made it the ideal choice to transport the president safely. The less time the president spent in the air and in transport, the less risk of a significant change in his condition.

As per Secret Service protocol, every aspect of a presidential move was detailed for accuracy, security and punctuality. Due to the nature of the president's medical condition, it was more imperative than ever for every detail to be adhered to.

The president would leave Parkland via ambulance for the 12 min ride to Love Field with Mrs. Kennedy, Dr. Burkley, Agent Hill and Agent Kellerman. There would be two follow up cars with the remaining agents, the presidential staff and two Parkland nurses that would accompany the president to Fort Hood during the transfer. An advance car was sent with additional medical equipment necessary for the president's monitoring and stability.

Once at Love Field, the president would be transferred to "Marine One" and transported to Fort Hood. Transfer time was estimated at 45 minutes to assure the president's comfort and safety. Transport time would be roughly 1 hour and 20 min. Mrs. Kennedy, Dr. Burkley, Agent Hill and Agent Kellerman, the two Parkland nurses, Kenny O'Donnell and Dave Powers would be in flight with the president. It had been determined that the president's brother, the Attorney General would meet the chopper at Fort Hood as well as the presidents remaining staff that was in route back from their interrupted trip to Japan. Vice-President Johnson would depart Love Field immediately after Marine One. His destination was yet to be determined.

Once at Fort Hood, the president would be transported via ambulance from the heliport to the base hospital, estimated time, 5 minutes via ambulance.

A neurosurgeon, Dr. Malcolm Field from St Luke's Hospital in Saginaw, MI had been identified as one of the best neurosurgeon's in the county and was in route to Fort Hood as the president's transfer was being finalized. A private plane was arranged to pick up Dr. Field in Michigan for the 7 hour flight to Fort Hood.

The president's staff was also working closely with British Ambassador, David Ormsby-Gore to locate Dr. Macdonald Critchley, a famed neurosurgeon from Britain as well as the U.S Ambassador to France, Charles Bohlen, to locate France's number one neurosurgeon, Dr. Henri Jean Pascal Gastaut. Mrs. Kennedy wanted the best and the best is what she was getting to care for the president. President Kennedy was greatly regarded in Great Britain as well as France and no expense was being spared by Prime Minister Harold Macmillan or President Charles de Gaulle in trying to help the American President and Mrs. Kennedy.

As the time for transport drew near, an official statement was being drafted for release to the press. Since the president's press secretary, Pierre Salinger, was in route back from Japan with the rest of the president's cabinet, Assistant White House Press Secretary Mac Kilduff was assigned the grievous task of addressing the press and the nation. Addressing the press assembled in the nurses classroom at Parkland Hospital, Kilduff began, "President Kennedy has sustained multiple gunshot wound to the head, back and throat in an attempted assassination at 1230 p.m. central standard time. The President is currently in a coma, his condition is severe but currently stable. I have no other information at this time. Thank you!"