Going Back From Whence We Came

"I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it's because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it's because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea - whether it is to sail or to watch it - we are going back from whence we came. "               - JFK 1962 American Cup Race.

As the glow of the sun's rays began to slowly creep over the horizon of the Atlantic, the soft, white sand along the Cape's shoreline glistened like diamonds in the rough. The burning sky shadowed the beach grass lined dunes as the sun climbed the horizon to reveal all its magnificent glory, giving light to a new day.

The sounds of the crashing waves along the beach and the birds twerping in the distance was suddenly interrupted by a loud ring from the living room phone. RING.... RING.....RINGGGGG, the phone continued its obtrusive command for attention as Jackie suddenly sprung to her feet in a moment of confusion and fright. RINNNNNNGGGGG.....the sound lingered as Jackie made her way to the receiver, "What, yes, hello," Jackie spat as she tried to regain her senses.

"Mrs. Kennedy, is that you?" A familiar voice replied from the other end.

"Yes, it's Jackie," she responded, trying to make a connection as to who the voice on the line belonged too.

"I'm sorry if I woke you, Mrs. Kennedy, this is Nurse Gray, the president's night nurse," "yes, yes," Jackie interpreted, "Is my husband okay, has something happened, where's Bobby?" She rambled, not allowing the nurse to finish.

"Yes, Mrs. Kennedy he's okay, nothing has happened, Mr. Kennedy asked me to get you on the line for him, I hadn't expected you to answer, I apologize if I startled you," Nurse Gray nervously spoke trying to easy the First Lady's concerns.

"No, no, it's okay," Jackie replied. "Where's Bobby?" She asked.

"Please hold ma'am, again, I've very sorry if I caused you any alarm or concern," the nurse quickly retorted as she handed Bobby the receiver.

"Jackie," Bobby stated.

"Yes Bobby, what's going on, is everything okay? How's Jack? Any changes, why are you calling so early? Has something happened?" Jackie questioned in haste.

"Everything is fine, Jackie," Bobby laughed. "Please take a breath between those questions to give someone a chance to answer," he joked.

"Well shit Bobby, the phone damn near gave me a heart attack then it's the nurse on the line and not you and I didn't know what to think!" Jackie chastised.

"It's okay kid," Bobby continued trying to calm Jackie's nerves. "Everything is okay!"

"Any changes," Jackie questioned?

"Nothing yet," Bobby replied, "Still waiting on the doctors for their morning report. I just wanted to check on you and see how the interview went. I'm sorry to call so early, I hoped you would be up already and have had a good night's sleep in your own bed."

"Ha!" Jackie sarcastically uttered, "A good night's sleep if you can call finishing with White at 2 AM then tossing and turning with nightmares until I came to sleep on the veranda a good night sleep then well, I guess I did." She spat.

"2 AM? Damn Jackie, did he write a book or an article?" Bobby uttered annoyingly.

"They held the presses for him to publish last night, he dictated the article while he was here. I hope I did Jack justice, Bobby." Jackie hesitated.