Welcome JFK and Jackie

San Antonio, TX  November 21, 1963

Air Force One landed at San Antonio International Airport to the roaring cheers of thousands of well-wishers at 1:35 pm. Jack and Jackie looked out the small window down at the crowds that awaited their appearance.

"Wow," Jackie gasped, "That's a lot of people!" 'It sure is," Jack replied, "and I'm willing to bet they're all here to see you," he smiled.

Blushing, Jackie looked at Jack and shock her head with a faint smile. Jack knew she was nervous and anxious about the coming days and was doing his best to put her at easy.

"They're going to love you my darling," he whisper, "Look, they already do," pointing to all the signs bearing her name in big bold letter.

Rising from their seats, Jack took Jackie's hand as they made their way to the rear of the plane in preparation for their departure from Air Force One. Standing behind the closed doors that would soon bring them into contact with the hundreds of thousands of people that had come out to greet them, the President leaned in towards Jackie and whispered, "You look beautiful my love, are you ready? "Ready as I'll ever be," she nervously replied and with that, he quickly kissed her cheek and the door swung open.

As the rear door opened and Jack and Jackie appeared before the crowed, the thunderous roar of cheers and screams was deafening. The First Lady smiled as the President, hat in hand, led the way down the air-stairs towards the receiving line of Texas dignitaries and officials.

Vice President Johnson along with Lady Bird Johnson, Governor John Connally and his wife Nellie as well as the honor guard and other Texas government officials, greeted the First Couple as they descended the stairwell. Receiving a beautiful bouquet of yellow roses, Jackie followed Jack down the receiving line shaking hands and offering a warm smile to all that waited for their chance to greet the First Couple.

Making their way to the Presidential limousine, Jack and Jackie waved and greeted fans that cheered and yelled, "Welcome Jack and Jackie", "San Antonio loves the Kennedy's", "Please shake my hand." The overwhelming crowds brought a huge smile to Jack's face as he helped Jackie into the waiting car that would take them for the 26-mile tour through San Antonio to the Aerospace Medical Center at Brooks Air Force Base where the President was to deliver a speech about space travel. Taking her seat between Jack and Nellie Connally, Jackie couldn't help but be mesmerized by the enthusiastic crowds all the while smiling her million dollar smile and waving to all the people that lined the streets.