A Nation's Vigil

The news that the president was still alive, came as a relief to the nation and world that awaited word on his condition. Since 1230 p.m CST when all television and radio stations interrupted regular broadcasting and Walter Cronkite announced from the CBS newsroom, "In Dallas, Texas, three shots were fired at President Kennedy's motorcade in downtown Dallas. The first reports say that President Kennedy has been seriously wounded by this shooting," the nation held it's breath unsure as to whether their president was alive or dead.

The shots that were heard around the world led to hundreds and thousands of candle light vigils and prayer services. Even with the Cold War at it's peek of tension between the U.S and Soviet leaders, Soviet Prime Minister Nikita Khrushchev sent his regards to Mrs. Kennedy expressing the prayers of his nation for the president's recovery. East, West, North and South came together in churches, temples, mosques and synagogues to pray for America's fallen leader. Candlelight vigils were being held in the streets of Washington and curb sides of California. From sea to shining sea, the Nation came together as one in prayer and bewilderment that such a violent act could be committed in broad daylight on a downtown street in front of hundreds of people in America.

The severity and gravity of the president's condition was still unknown to the outside world. The only official statement released was that he was alive but in a coma. The rest was up for speculation and wonder. Even to those closest to him, answer were hard to come by.

As Marine One races across the plains of Central Texas, Air Force One cruised back to Washington as it had been decided that the Vice President would return to Washington in an attempt to maintain order with-in the government. In the President's absence, Vice President Johnson would act as the leader of the executive branch of government. Due to the president's incapacity to discharge the duties of the office and the uncertainty of the president's condition, it would be up to the Vice President and the President's Cabinet when and if he would assume the Presidency or merely perform as "acting President." In the meantime, nobody was in any great hurry to discuss transition of power or make any concrete decisions. The main concerns presently were the president, was this an international conspiracy or a lone gunman attack and keeping the government running efficiently and safely.

Still unwilling to change from her blood soaked pink suit, exclaiming with fierceness, "Let them see what they've done to him, let them see what they've done to Jack!" Jackie remained by her husbands side, holding his hand, praying for him and talking to him during the ride from Love Field to Fort Hood. Her gloved hand still caked in her husband's blood and her face still splattered with the reminiscences of the days gore, this otherwise immaculate woman, exquisitely dressed could be described as nothing less than the days most poignant sight.

Maintaining a serene calmness about her, Jackie was the glue that was holding everyone together as the gravity of the days events began to sink in as everyone sat watching all the machines that surrounded Jack, keeping him alive. His entire head was wrapped in gauze, a breathing tube affixed to his mouth, his necked bandaged to protect the gaping wound that was still open and oozing with blood drainage and his breathing, a rhythmic repetition of ins and outs coinciding with the beeping sound of the monitor that was regulating his oxygen flow, was the sight before them. This man, a pillar of strengthen and vitality that no matter all the pain and sickness his life had been engulfed with always presented a fearless determination that led him to being the leader of the free world, lay there, helpless and still. His normal glowing, tanned skin was now pale, nearly white from all the blood loss. His beautiful head-full of chestnut hair was nearly all shaved off from the surgical attempts to save his life. His immaculate dress, thanks to his wife's great style, had been replaced by an old hospital gown, a white sheet and tan blanket. The man that lay before them was now frail, weak and unable to spat out his annoyed vulgarities that would normally accompany situations that he felt helpless in, a husband, a friend, a boss, a Commander in Chief, a President!

The 80 minute ride from Love Field to Fort Hood seemed an eternity to those aboard that Huey chopper. The only sounds audible were those of the machines keeping the president alive and the blaring noise of the chopper's propellers rotating above them as it raced at 160 mph above the black, dark stillness of the land below. As they began to make their approach to the Fort Hood heliport, Marine One pilot Maj. John T. Stockton, announced over his headset to Dr. Burkley that they would be landing in 5 minutes in order to prepare the president for the landing. Due to the president's fragile state and the uncertainty of what affect the landing could have on the president, extra precautions where being make to secure him upon landing. Even with a gentle helicopter landing, a sudden gar or bounce could be extremely dangerous.

As the chopper hovered over the helipad, Maj. Stockton counted down to Dr. Buckley, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 ,4, 3, 2, 1 and the chopper touched it's skids down upon the black and white tarmac of United States Army Base- Fort Hood.

The Major's gentle landing was well received by those aboard with a quick round of applause as Dr. Burkely gave a thumbs up indication that the president was okay. Dr. Burkely and the nurses prepared the president for departure as Jackie attempted to remove the now fully stiffened, previously white glove from her right hand. She had been so consumed with worry about Jack's transfer that she hadn't even noticed she was still wearing the blood caked glove as she held tight to Jack's hand while in flight.

Turning to her S.S Agent, Mr. Hill, Jackie asked softly, her voice softer and lower than usual, "Mr. Hill, can you please do something with this for me?" "Oh course, Mrs. Kennedy, I'll take care of it," Mr. Hill replied. "Thank you," Jackie whispered.

Trying to fight back tears as she handed him her glove, Mr. Hill wrapped the pristinely shaped glove, now fully dried in blood, in a newspaper that had been laying near him and carried it off the chopper, under his arm, away from any public viewing. A symbol of her efforts to save her husband by keeping pressure upon his wounds as they raced from the plaza to the hospital.

Exiting the chopper behind Agent Hill, Mrs. Kennedy came face to face with Bobby Kennedy who had been anxiously waiting the choppers arrival. As Jackie looked up and caught sight of Bobby, all the emotions she had held tight with-in throughout the day came racing out of her. Leaping into Bobby's arms, Jackie began to sob.

"Bobby, it was horrible, he's so weak, they don't know if he'll wake up or if he does what he'll be like. What am I going to do? I don't know what to tell the children, I'm so frightened Bobby," Jackie rambled through her tears. Her words barely coherent as she rattled off a hundred words filled with a million emotions.

"Shhhhh," Bobby began to try and comfort his sister-in-law, "Jack is a fighter, he's strong and we need to be strong for him. We have seen him at deaths door and fight his way back, if anything I know about my brother, he won't go down without a fight," Bobby spoke softly as he tried to fight back his own tears.

"You've not seen him Bobby," Jackie argued back, "It's bad, it's really bad."