Chapter 9

Adrien's POV

I didn't know what to do for a moment as I walked away with Kagami. Alya and Marinette had seemed happy to meet her, but there was something in their eyes that gave away what they really felt. I saw what looked like anger in Alya's eyes, and what appeared to be disappointment in Marinette's.

And that's when I stopped walking.

I felt the slight pull of my arm as Kagami took another step. She took a step back to stand next to me and looked at me with confusion. "What?" She asked with a smile.

I looked at her and felt unease creep over me. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but I wanted to make sure my other two friends were okay. "I can't go with you." I told her.

"What?" She repeated herself, her eyes widening with confusion and her smile vanishing. "What is that supposed to mean? Adrien, we're supposed to be celebrating our win of the tournament."

"We can do that later." I said as I pulled my arm away from hers.

"Adrien?!" Her questioning tone at my action also sounded like a slight whine. "This isn't like you."

"No," I told her, looking at her with a frown. "This isn't like you. Since when have you been so clingy to me? You used to seem cold because you only wanted to concern yourself with me when it came to fencing. Now you want to hang out more than that?"

"Adrien, I-" She began, but I cut her off.

"And since when have you called me by my first name?" He asked. "You call everyone by their last name. Why am I different now? What changed?"

I could see her eyes flickering as she searched my face. It was obvious she was at a loss of words, and I knew why. She didn't think I'd noticed that she had changed, but I had.

Finally, she looked down in defeat and frowned. "My feelings for you changed." She said. "From peer, to acquaintance, to friend, it's changed." She paused and looked up at me with sad eyes. "I like you, Adrien Agreste, as more than a friend."

I blushed, even though I already had figured it out, and my eyes widened slightly with surprise. I wasn't expecting a confession from her, but I guess I had sort of asked for it.

She continued to look at me, and I could tell she was waiting for my answer. With a frown I looked away from her.

"You know I like someone else, Kagami." I said.

Kagami looked down as well. "I know that now." She said sadly. "I had always hoped that it was me that you liked, but I see now that you don't."

I didn't say anything for a moment, struggling to find the words to say. I just rejected her and I didn't want to say anything else that could make her more upset.

"I'm sorry."

"I know you are." She looked at me with a small smile. "I know you care about me, just perhaps not as much as I care about you, and that's okay."

Kagami looked down again, though she still smiled slightly as she took a step away. She paused and looked up, then turned her head back towards me. "Maybe one day, but I still expect us to go out and celebrate our victory. Now go and talk to your other friends. They must have missed you while you were gone."

I smiled as I turned to walk back to Alya and Marinette. Kagami was more understanding of me than I thought. Maybe I should give her a chance?

"Oh, and Adrien," Kagami said, and I turned my head back towards her to see her fully facing me. "Just know that if any of your friends end up not really being your friends, you can come to me. I'll always be here for you."