Chapter 20

A/N: Woah, a second chapter in one day?! I must really feel bad for ending the last chapter how I did. Anyway, this one is a little longer too so it should make up for the last one. Enjoy!

Adrien's POV

Tears threatened to leave my eyes once again as I walked home. I stared down at the sidewalk as I walked slowly, my head drooping and my shoulders sagging.

"I-I don't love you, Adrien... I-I love someone else..."

I kicked a small stone as her voice replayed her words through my head, and the way she seemed so heartbroken to tell me. And it hurt so badly to remember what happened.

I kissed her then confessed to her that I love her, but she doesn't feel the same way. I don't even know why I kid myself into thinking that she could love me. She's so much better than I'll ever be, and it was proven true when she turned me down.

Even as my heart ached that my confession being turned down, nothing hurt more than the tears I saw running down her face as she left me. Although I know she doesn't feel the same that I do about her, I'm still in love with her and I don't really think I'll ever stop.

After I kissed her, the feelings I had for her only grew stronger in that instant. When I confessed to her, I felt as if I could do anything, and even though it only lasted for a few seconds before she told me she didn't feel the same, I knew that no matter what I'd always feel that way around her.

I knew I'd given up on Ladybug, but I don't think I can give up on Marinette. But for the time being, I'll try to focus on keeping our friendship strong until I have the chance to steal her heart. No matter long how long it takes, I'll wait for her. She's worth it.

I let out a long sigh and looked up to see that I was standing at the stairs that led down to the metro. It only took me a second before I decide that I'd take it home. I had nothing else better to do really.

I walked down the stairs and only had to stand with the rest of the crowd for a few minutes before the train arrived at the station. I stepped on when the doors opened and I walked aimlessly down the aisle, finding a place to either sit or stand. I came to a stop at no car in particular and chose to stand, gripping onto the pole.

"Don't lie to me, Adrien. They told you something. Something that's unsettled you, and now you never want to be around me."

I smiled softly to myself as I remembered her words to me. She had been so upset with me for being so nervous around her, and she held nothing back when confronting me about it. Her courage may have been one of the reasons I'd started seeing her as more than just a friend.

"I don't know why you won't look or talk to me, but it's not like you."

Although I had been rejected by her not too long ago, hearing her say those words again in my mind made my heart skip. She really did care about me, and I knew that even though I might not be more than a friend to her, I'm someone she cares enough about to try to figure out if something was wrong.

Which she did. She assumed that Alya and Nino told me something, but what was there for them to tell me? If anything, it was me who had told them something. Was there something that I didn't know about Marinette that could have unsettled me as she feared?

My smile faltered and a frown started to form across my lips. I had always seen Marinette as such an amazing girl, and I was kicking myself for not realizing I loved her sooner, but was there something she was worried about me finding out about her? If so, just how bad was it?

I sighed again and tried not to think about this possible secret of hers, or her in general. I needed to clear my mind, but I don't know how likely what would be since her rejection of me hadn't changed my feelings about her in the slightest.