Chapter One: Icy Temple

-Kuai Liang's POV- The familiar sound of fire crackling wakes me up from my slumber. I sit up in bed and look out the window. The temple of the Lin Kuei is a familiar sight to me, since I am Grandmaster here. Snow falls heavily outside the window of my room.

This is a sight I have grown used to, since the temple is located in the snowy mountains. Only I and a few of my clan can withstand the cold with such ease.
I rub my face, trying to smooth out my messy beard and hair. I am not getting any younger, that much I know. Despite the fact that I am Grandmaster, it can get lonely in the temple.

I get out of bed and exit my room. The long hallway before me is dark and cold. Adjusting the straps on my outfit, I glance at the dark corners of the hall. Nothing amiss. Attacks on the temple are few and far between, with many raids freezing to death or getting lost trying to find the place I call my home.

Walking into the kitchen, I find it well stocked but empty. Ever since many of my clan have been turned into cybernetic soldiers by Cyrax, Sektor, and my old student Frost, I am the only one that survived.
Frost has since betrayed me and became a cybernetic herself, against my better judgement.

Wanting to calm my nerves, I make myself tea and try not to let this massive loss weigh down on my heart. The sound of whirling flames behind me cause me to smirk. I turn around and see Scorpion standing there, wearing his yellow mask and all.
"Grandmaster Hasashi." I bow my head in respect.
"What brings you to the Lin Kuei temple?" I ask.

My once hated rival places a hand over his heart and bows his head in return. "I have come to state my deepest apologies about your clan." He states this in his familiar Japanese accent, but his English has improved.

His brown eyes gaze into my blue ones.
"Kuai..." He begins.
"Hanzo," I cut in, setting the teacup down on the large wooden table. "Please, sit. You have traveled a long way to get here. The least I can do is offer you a drink."

Hanzo opens his mouth, but closes it. He nods, looking troubled, but sits across from me as I prepare another cup.
With a sigh, he takes off the yellow mask covering the lower half of his face and puts his dark brown hood down, revealing a yellow sash wrapped around his head.

"What will you do now?" He asks.
"What can I do?" I reply, pouring hot tea into his cup and sitting down. Hanzo looks down at the white cup blowing up steam like a volcano about to erupt.
"If only I had not killed your brother," he mutters.
"Bi-Han's death was not your fault." I state calmly.
"Quan Chi misdirected your vengeance, Hanzo. I do not blame you for the death of my older brother."

Hanzo's breathing quickens. His brown eyes harden as he looks off to a window beside me, remaining silent. I sigh, my tea long forgotten and getting cold.

"You must not let the past cloud your thoughts, Hanzo." I state gently, my raspy voice sounding somewhat loud in the empty dining hall.
"But—" His eyes are still locked on the window.
"Scorpion," Calling him by his alias causes him to blink. "We cannot change the past."

My heart breaks at thinking of all my fallen clan having been turned into killing machines. About Bi-Han. "I have moved on. But I know doing such a task is not easy. Now we can only take control of the future."

Hanzo finally looks at me. He looks distraught.
"Hanzo—"
His head suddenly snaps up. "Shh!"
I remain quiet.
His eyes lock onto mine.
"Did you hear that?"
"Hear what?" I whisper.
He holds his hand up and points to the large wooden doors that are the main entrance.

The muffled crying of a person causes both of us to jump up. Instantly, my hands are coated in frost on reflex and Hanzo clutches his sword. We look at each other and nod. Slowly walking to the door, we both tense up. Throwing open the doors, Hanzo and I aim our attacks at the source of the crying.

I gasp sharply. The crying is coming from an infant. Hanzo eases his tension on the sword and places it back on his back. "Oh, no," I kneel down and gently hold the crying baby. The frost on my arms melts on instinct. I don't want the poor thing to be any more cold even with a white blanket wrapped around it.

"Get the infant inside. I do not think it is also a Cryomancer like yourself." Hanzo looks around the snowy hills and mountains in the distance wearily.
I rush inside, Hanzo following close behind after he closes the doors tightly.

"Hey now, you're safe." I mutter, holding the crying infant close. "Here, let me help." Hanzo warms his hands up with fire and puts them out, leaving the waves of heat behind. He holds his hands out near the baby and it—no, not it, he stops crying.
"What do we do now?" Hanzo demands.
"I'll raise him." I state slowly. "He'll help me build back the Lin Kuei."

"Oh? And what will you name him? We don't even know if he has any powers!"
"Kana. His name is Kana. Powers or not, he will be our key for revenge. Will you help me raise him, Hanzo?"
Hanzo sighs. "I can try, but do not blame me if I mess up in some way. I am a highly-trained assassin, not a babysitter."
I laugh. "This'll be fun."
"Very funny, Tundra." Hanzo groans.