Chapter Seven: Comfort

-Hanzo's POV- I help Kuai up to his feet. He continues to cry silently, half-frozen tears mixing with the blood on his face. "A-are you hurt?" Kuai asks shakily, tears continuing to stream down.
"No. But I should be asking you that question," I state. He grits his teeth in pain, clutching his side which is still oozing blood.

I walk him over to the temple entrance, avoiding bits of splintered wood and concrete. "Kana...go find Kana. M...make sure he is okay."
"But you are hurt worse than him." I inform Kuai.
"I'll be fine. I've been hurt worse before. A simple stab wound is something I can handle."
I nod and let him go, watching him stagger to the medical room on shaky legs.

I've never seen Kuai act like that before. Yes, he has gotten angry at times, but not to this extent. He was going to kill Frost if I had not interfered. And that scream he made...God, that was a scream of someone who has had a mental breakdown.

I rush down the hallways, wishing I could change my outfit since it is still stained with blood. But Kana...
This temple is large and similar to a maze. He could be anywhere. "Kana," I call out, hoping my voice doesn't frighten him anymore. "Where are you?"

Fire crackles from the many torches hung on the stone walls. I will never get used to this dark and cold place, no matter how many times I've been here. It is nothing like the bright and sunny Fire Gardens that I was born and raised in. Perhaps I can take Kana there one day, if I can gain his trust again.

"Kana," I call out again and listen. I hear muffled sobbing somewhere down the hall. I walk down the hall and stop near a door, the crying louder behind said door. I open the door quietly. The door leads to a smaller storage room that holds many blankets and clothing.

Kana lays on a pile of folded blue and purple blankets, cradling his damaged wrist.
"Oh, Kana," I murmur. With a terrified squeak, Kana turns around and backs away from me. He falls off of the blankets and nearly hits his head on the stone floor. I leap forward and catch him before he can hurt himself more.

He immediately tries to break away from my grip, but can't move much without whimpering in pain.
"No! No! Let me go! Don't hurt me, Uncle!"
"Kana...listen to me." I hold him close. "I am not going to hurt you. I would never hurt you."
I feel his breathing slow as he calms down.

"Both Kuai and I were protecting you," I explain gently, sitting on the floor and hugging him. "That girl, Frost, she was going to hurt you. We didn't want that."
"Hanzo is right, Kana," I turn and see Kuai kneeling down to Kana's level, now with layers of gauze wrapped around his abdomen and lower rib cage. His face is also scrubbed clean and looking sad.
Kana grips my shirt tightly, beginning to hyperventilate.

"Shhh. Shhh. Kana, my baby....please don't be afraid." Tears flow from Kuai's blue eyes.
"B-but you were really mad." Kana stammers, scanning Kuai up and down and staring at the bloody gauze on his side.
"I know. I lost control for a bit there, but only to protect you." Kuai looks at Kana's damaged wrist.

"Is it broken?" He asks in a worried tone.
"I think so," I state.
"Kana, let me see your wrist, please." The boy reluctantly holds his hand out. He lets out a shrill whimper when Kuai touches it gently.
"You were right, it's broken."
Kuai gets up, wincing at the stab wound as more blood gets soaked up into the gauze.

"We should leave," I whisper.
"Leave?" Kuai cringes as he turns to face me. "Where are we going?"
"This place is not safe anymore, Kuai. Cyrax And Sektor will come looking for her soon enough."
Kuai takes this all in, his blue eyes looking troubled.
"The Fire Gardens seems like the safest place for now. Then I can perhaps get in touch with Raiden." I explain.

"All right," Kuai sighs, digging a blue silk sash out from his pocket and tying it around his head firmly.
He looks down at me and nods, holding his hand out. I smile. "There's the Tundra I remember."
He helps me up. I set Kana down and hold his hand. With a whirl of flames, all three of us vanish from the Lin Kuei Temple, leaving the cold area behind.