Chapter Forty-One: Stone Cold Tension

-Bi-Han's POV- I can tell Kuai isn't acting right. Is he still shaken up by encountering Tundra? I cannot say for sure. I am sitting on a chair near the fireplace in Kuai's room, watching him sleep.

For once, he looks to be at ease, breathing in a rhythm. His beard and hair is getting longer, almost matted. Then, his face suddenly twists in pain, letting out a whimper. A nightmare, perhaps?
On instinct, I get out of the chair and rush over.

Without thinking, I get in bed with him and gently rub his cheek where the scar is. At my touch, his face relaxes, going back to a calm state. I trace the lower part of the scar, feeling guilt weigh in my chest. If I had been there, Kuai would have never gotten marked, never turned into a machine.....wouldn't doubt himself.

Kuai lets out a shuttered breath, his eyes fluttering open. I notice that his eyes are bloodshot. Had he been crying earlier? "Brother?" He looks surprised, grabbing my hand on his face as color floods to his cheeks in shyness. "Why are you here?"

"I was worried," I answer, stroking his cheek with my thumb again. "You didn't eat much. Hanzo said you looked distressed. I wanted to make sure you were okay. I think you were having a nightmare."
He sighs, leaning against my hand and closing his eyes. "I was too nervous to eat. I'm sorry, big brother." The tone of his voice makes him sound like a little kid, similar to when he lost his memory and relearned English.

"I'm not mad," I whisper, kissing his forehead. "Just a bit worried. Are you scared? Is it because of Tundra?" He opens his eyes, looking like this is the last thing he wants to answer.
"Can we talk about this later?" He meekly asks, shuffling under the blankets nervously.
"Of course," I say.
"Can you stay here? You're warm. I've been pretty cold lately. I think I'm getting sick." He coughs, a small cloud of mist flowing out. "I don't have a lot of energy."

I wave the mist away, brows furrowed in concern. I say nothing as Kuai snuggles into me, arms curled against his chest as he breathes deeply.
I wrap my arms around him, pulling him close. "Rest more." I croon. "I will be right here. Just sleep, baby brother. Listen to my heartbeat if you have to." I soon fall asleep as well, feeling my anxiety melt away for a bit.
****
-Kuai's POV- I wake up curled against Bi-Han, who is still asleep. He is so worried about me. I just want him to be happy. Sensing that I moved slightly, Bi-Han wraps his arms around me in his sleep, muttering something too low to hear.

I lean in a bit closer. "Don't....leave..." He murmurs in his sleep.
Oh, Bi-Han.
I cough again, causing Bi-Han's eyes to open. He blinks, looking down at me.
"You still sick?" He asks in a tired tone.
I nod. "You should get up. I do not want you to get sick as well." I say.

Bi-Han shakes his head, holding into me tighter. "No. I don't care if I get sick. It's you I'm worried about, Kuai."
"But, brother...." I plead.
"Shh. This argument will get you nowhere, little brother. Are you hungry? Would you like me to make you something?" He asks in a low voice.

"Yes." I answer, smiling. "Thank you."
****
Later, after eating, I watch Hanzo play with Kana by making origami figures in the library. A pang of jealousy stabs at my heart at seeing them so close.
But I can tell Kana is still scared around me.

I look up from my book to see Hanzo walking towards my table, his hands behind his back.
I raise an eyebrow in confusion at his smile.
"What is it?" I ask slowly.
"I helped Kana make this for you." He lowers his voice. "It's his way of saying sorry about how he has acted around you."
He hands me a small crane made out of pink paper.

I smile at this, letting out a small laugh.
"Thank you, Hanzo. Tell Kana I appreciate his gift."
Hanzo nods, sitting down beside me.
"Unfold it," he says, his brown eyes shining with....concern? Fear?
I reluctantly do so, seeing a message written in Hanzo's handwriting.
'Are you okay?' The message reads. 'Do you want to talk?'

I frown, reading the message again before folding the paper back into the crane.
"I did not want to ask you directly," He whispers, glancing at Kana, who is still folding paper on the floor. The child looks oblivious to what we are talking about. "Since Kana is here."

Right as I am about to answer, Bi-Han enters the library. I curse internally. "Bi-Han, come here. Look at what Hanzo and Kana made me."
Hanzo looks concerned at the fact that I am dodging his questions.

Bi-Han laughs as he holds up the crane.
'Please unfold it,' I say in my head. 'Read the message so I can finally tell you all Tundra's plan.'
"Very cute," Bi-Han ruffles my hair. "Hanzo, could you and Kana make me one?" He hands me back the crane without opening it.
"Of course, Bi-Han. But can I speak with you? Alone?" I feel my blood freeze up at this.

Hanzo casts a glance at me before looking back at Bi-Han. He mutters something too low for me to hear. Whatever Hanzo said, it deeply hurt Bi-Han, who looks at me, then the crane with worried eyes.

I fight the urge to sink into my chair.
I watch them both get up and exit the library.
'Would now be a good time to tell them the plan?' I beg.
A few moments pass before Tundra responds.
'Why? Are they getting worried about you?'
'Yes. Let me tell them, please.'
'Wait until they corner you and start asking questions. If they do not agree, I will fight in your place at the Cyber Factory. But I cannot do this alone. I will need their help.'

"Kuai Liang...?" Bi-Han peeks his head back in, looking like he had been crying.
It's never a good sign when he says my full name.
"Can we talk? Now, preferably?" I solemnly nod.
Here we go....