Chapter Twelve: Fear The Dark

-Bi-Han's POV- The feeling of intense heat tells me that we have arrived in the Netherrealm. The boy in my grip trembles in fear. I let him go and take a step back to observe him. He is wearing a Lin Kuei student uniform that looks scuffed, like he's been in battle.

I kneel down to look into his unusual grey eyes.
"What is your name?" I ask, placing my mask back on. He remains quiet, still shaking.
"You do not need to be afraid of me. I'm Kuai's older brother, your uncle. We're family."
"F-Family?" He stammers, looking at my ruined body. "Well, you do look...a lot like papa."
I smile behind the mask.

"I didn't know papa has a brother."
"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, nephew. Now, what is your name? You can tell me." The boy begins to relax, looking down at the black rock floor that leads to the large and dark castle I call my home.

"Kana."
"Kana," I repeat, grinning now. "My name is Bi-Han. But you may call me uncle if you like." Kana looks up at me with a shaky smile. "Okay, uncle."
I nod in the direction of the castle. "Come along, Kana, let us see what you can do."
****
-Kuai's POV- I pace the entrance of the Shirai Ryu Temple, wanting to cry and scream. How could I be so stupid, letting Kana out of my sight? Hanzo said this place was safe, so how did Bi-Han find us? Because I said his name? That doesn't sound right.

Has Bi-Han been watching me this whole time? Watching my crack under the pressure and cry myself to sleep while stating that I missed him dearly? I recall Bi-Han always teasing me... calling me weak, hopeless, saying that I will never be Grandmaster.
But I still love him. Even though I thought he died.

Like Bi-Han, our father was a stern man. He toughened us up, even though I hated every second of it. But our mother...father never said where she was. Just stated that he trained and raised us alone in the Lin Kuei Temple. I barely even remember what mother looks like. Does Bi-Han?
Would he even care? Probably not.

I wrap the silky yellow robe around me tighter. Hanzo was kind enough to get me something to cover up my bloody gauze and frostbite-covered chest. "I'm sorry," I mutter, seeing Hanzo walk over to the fountain I'm sitting at from the corner of my eye.

"Sorry?" He echoes, sitting next to me. "For what?"
I wheeze out a laugh, nearly choking on the ice in my throat. "Letting Kana get captured, destroying your guest room, freezing over your hot spring," I sigh when I hear the fountain water freezing into a solid mass behind me. I hadn't even realized my hand was in the water. "And making your fountain into an ice sculpture." I add, yanking my submerged hand out of the ice and shaking the excess off.

"Hey," Hanzo laughs, trying to lighten the mood.
"I'd say freezing the fountain is an improvement. The frozen cherry blossom petals in the ice are a nice touch." I smile despite the stress.
"How are you feeling?" Hanzo asks, leaning forward to look into my eyes. "Better," I wince, rubbing my throat. "I'm not shivering anymore. But I am getting hungry. I need to eat. Then we can think of a plan."

Hanzo nods with a sad smile. "Would you like me to make you some sushi? Perhaps fried rice?"
"Both," I blurt out, then blush, knowing I'm acting strange when I get hungry. Hanzo laughs. "Alright, Kuai. Just wait here. I'll be back."

"Can I also get more cherry blossom tea?" I ask meekly, sniffing. "Heh. Of course." Hanzo gets up and walks off. I stare up at the moon.
"Kana," I begin. "Just wait a little longer. We're coming."