Chapter Twenty-Two: Sick

-Bi-Han's POV- I see Kuai sitting on the top steps leading to the temple entrance. The mass of icicles on his back and spine almost seem to sparkle if the moonlight hits them just right.

"What do we do now?" I hear him say, his back still to me. "Kuai, I didn't want to tell you this until you began thinking straight again. But," I sigh.
"Kana has fallen ill." Kuai whips his body and head around so fast that I thought he had broken his neck.
"Kana is sick...?" His face twists in agony. His blue-purple eyes only make him appear alien-like.
"Very sick, I'm afraid."
"Where is he?" Kuai demands, standing up. "I need to see him immediately."
"At the Fire Garden with Hanzo and Raiden. But, Kuai, your appearance...what if it scares Kana?"

Kuai stops his pacing to breathe, his eyes scanning the floor in thought. "It may not scare him," He whispers. "He might see that it's me."
"We can only hope."
****
-Hanzo's POV- "The boy is burning up," I inform Raiden. The Thunder God looks at the door where Kana resides behind. "Has he ever fallen ill prior to this?"
"A few times," I answer, opening the sliding door gently. "But not this severely." We both see Kana laying down in a thin mat, curled up in the fetal position with his eyes closed tightly.
Raiden knew about Kana's existence prior to this. He seemed surprised to learn that Kana is a Hydromancer.

I kneel down next to the boy, stroking his cheek with my thumb. "Do you think he caught the flu?" I ask.
"Perhaps, but this does not seem like an ordinary flu."
I grit my teeth in frustration. Kana is like a second son to me. If he dies.....No! I refuse to let my mind wonder to such a terrible place.

Kana looks up at me weakly. "Where...is Papa?" He asks, his voice raspy. "He's coming, Kana. Just hang on." Almost on cue, both Kuai and Bi-Han rush into the room.
Raiden looks tense, staring at the both of them.
Kuai still looks corrupted, but worried.
Bi-Han looks like a carbon copy of Kuai but without the scar and still retains his white eyes.

Kuai takes a step forward, but stops, looking down at his clawed and shaking hands. Bi-Han rests a hand on his shoulder. "This wasn't a good idea, brother." Kuai's face falls as he rushes out.
"Kuai...." Bi-Han rasps, holding his hand out towards the open door but not chasing after him.

"Let me go after him. Bi-Han, stay here with Raiden and Kana." I run after Kuai.
I blink in surprise to see snow beginning to fall.
And yet it's Spring.
"Kuai must be affecting the weather," I say, rubbing my arms. The snow and wind feels colder than normal.

"Hanzo," Kuai sits on the edge of the fountain, the water still frozen solid. He looks up, his strange purple-blue eyes bloodshot. "What are you doing here?"
I take note of the mess of icicles splintering out of his back and spine, his dark blue hands that turn pale more towards his shoulders, and the look of sadness in his eyes.

"Bi-Han is worried," I state, feeling goosebumps on my arms. "We are all worried."
"You shouldn't be," He sighs, staring at the cherry blossom petals stuck in the ice.
"It's Kana that I'm worried about. Bi-Han said he was sick." He clenches his hands, the icicle claws melting away so he doesn't stab himself. "But I do not want to scare the boy."

"I know you don't," I whisper, looking down at the snow beginning to pile up on the ground.
"Are you causing it to snow?" I ask.
"Yes, sorry. This happens if I become distressed enough, especially after the Dragon Medallion messes with my power." He exhales, blowing out a small cloud of mist and snowflakes.

"How is Kana? Is he getting better?" He asks.
"A little. Not much...."
"Do you know how he got sick? Was it because of me?"
"No, Raiden and I don't think so. We think he just got the flu."

I see Kuai visibly relax, his shoulders slumping.
"Kuai....are you okay?" Bi-Han appears through a small black hole. "I'm alright," he looks at his brother in the eye.
"I just...need some time alone."
Both Bi-Han and I exchange looks.
"Of course. Come on, Bi-Han. Let's leave Kuai alone."

I walk back to the temple. Bi-Han follows. The sound of wind blowing and a cold blast causes me to turn around. Kuai is gone, leaving a flurry of snowflakes in his wake where he was.