Chapter Twenty-Nine: Soothe You Awake

-Kuai's POV- The feeling of being wrapped in polar bear fur and hearing someone humming gently causes me to stir. The hazy details of my room in the temple come into focus as I look around.

Bi-Han is tending to the fire and humming, poking the logs with a metal poker. His silhouette appears to glow in the firelight. "Just like that," I murmur, licking my dry lips. "Sing for me, please." Bi-Han jumps and turns around. I immediately notice that his right arm is in a white cast and held near his chest by a strap draped over his shoulder.

"Kuai...." Tears are in his eyes as he walks over to my bedside. His white eyes are bloodshot and his hair is a mess. "Oh, my baby brother." He leans down and pecks my forehead. I blink in surprise, feeling flustered.
"What was that for?" I gasp.
Bi-Han looks concerned.
"Do you really not remember?"

I shuffle up in bed, leaning my head on the headboard. "No," I blush in shame. "Did something bad happen?"
"Never mind," Bi-Han smiles, grabbing my hand with his good one and squeezing. He begins to cry.
"I'm just glad you're okay..."

"Woah, hey.. " I trail off, not knowing how to react.
"Bi-Han, please...just tell me what happened. Come here, sit next to me." My older brother blinks and sits on the edge of my bed.

"You don't have to explain what happened all at once," I pick at the polar bear fur blanket with my bruised fingers. I listen to the crackle and feel the warmth of the fire for a moment.
"But you need to inform me if anything bad happened."
My older sibling heaves a sigh, but nods.

I hand him some paper from the tissue box at my bedside table. "Thank you," he smiles shakily and wipes his pale cheeks.
"Both Hanzo and I saw the messed up form of you. The one you described that you saw in the mirror."
"Go on," I assure him gently.

"That form of you got into a fight with Hanzo. He said you were dangerous. You screamed in anger and whiplashed his kunai to make an explosion that sent us all flying back."
"Wh—I...How..." I sputter, furrowing my brows in confusion and worry.
"That's not even the worst of it. That attack of yours was caused due to Hanzo attacking you. You screamed something about always being talked down as weak, and how you...hate everything about yourself....." He sniffs.
"God, Kuai....I'm so, so sorry you think that about yourself."

I stare down at my bruised hands, the bruises a gross mixture of purple and green. Was this from the whiplash? That must be it.
"So...that means..." I glance up at his broken arm.
"I caused you to break your arm?"

Bi-Han looks stunned that I figured that out so fast.
"Well," He begins, fiddling with the gauze bandage on my chest that I just now realize is there.
"Yes and no. That beast made you do it...I know you would never hurt me, Kuai."
I grab his hand that's still on my chest.
"What happened to my chest, Bi-Han? Why does it hurt every time I take in a breath?"

"The transformation that happened to you appeared to be stronger than normal. Your Cryomancer powers spiked up to such a degree that ice was spreading over your chest and traveling down to your abdomen. It sounded like your lungs were frozen over. With each breath you took, ice and snow exited from your mouth like smoke from a dragon."
Almost on cue, I suddenly lean forward and cough violently, feeling ice burn in my chest and forcing me to throw it up. Tiny bits of ice land on the blanket, so cold that they emit vapor.

"Careful," Bi-Han rubs my chest as I lean back down in bed, rubbing my throat.
"I-I just remembered something..." I choke out.
"Back in the forest....After the explosion....I didn't see you or Hanzo. I saw Frost and Sektor. That's why—"

I go into a coughing fit, shutting my eyes tightly as tears flow. "That's why I threw that tree branch at you guys. I...wanted to kill you both. Rip you limb from limb."
"Kuai, don't say such awful things, please."
Bi-Han's form is blurred from my tears.
"But it's the truth," I counter back. "It's the truth," I repeat weakly, covering my eyes with my hands, not wanting to see Bi-Han upset.

"Here, Kuai. Eat this. You'll feel better."
The familiar smell of egg drop soup with green onions causes me to sit up.
"Oh," I blush. "Thank you, Bi-Han." I sniff, rubbing my eyes.
I try and fail to keep the spoon in my hand.

"Um, Bi-Han..." I start.
"This is going to sound like a dumb question...but, can you help me eat?"
My brother smiles. "Of course. I didn't think you had enough strength. Let your body rest more. I'll be right here the whole time."
****
I didn't realize I had drifted off again.
Moonlight shines through the window, giving the room some light besides the glow of the fireplace.

I get out of bed and stumble into the hallway.
The hallway laid out in front of me is dark. The only light is coming from the Throne Room. On shaky legs, I head toward the light, but stop when I hear voices coming from it.
"....worried about him."
"Listen, both of us are concerned over Kuai's mental and physical state. He looked okay earlier, he ate the soup and quickly fell back asleep."
"Is he still resting as we speak?"
"Yes. He was out when I checked on him five minutes ago. My poor brother...."
"What if he is still dangerous? We both saw how he destroyed the forest trying to kill us! You said he was hallucinating that we were Sektor and Frost, correct? What if that hallucination next time doesn't wear off? He could kill us."
I hear Bi-Han slam something down on a table.
"That is enough, Hanzo." His voice trembles with anger. "I know Kuai Liang. He would never kill us. He loves us both like brothers."
"But I can tell he clearly loves you more. You are his only family left, after all." Hanzo spats.

Right as things are about to get heated, I barge in.
"That's enough, both of you." They both jump and whirl around. "Kuai," Bi-Han stammers. "You weren't supposed to hear this..."
"Oh, really?" I cross my arms. "I'm not supposed to overhear how much of a danger I am? Is that it? Hah!" I wheeze out a laugh.

"It's not like that, Kuai." Hanzo states.
"Oh, like you know any better!" I snap, feeling the blizzard in my chest begin to form.
"You don't know how this has affected everyone I love!" I scream, feeling icicles begin to splinter out from my back.

Both Bi-Han and Hanzo jump back.
"Kuai...your eyes..." My manic breathing slows down as I back away from them.
"No...no! I....I'm sorry." I gasp, turning away from them. "Just leave me alone."
Without another word, I bolt off to my room, slamming and locking the door in my wake.