Chapter Forty-Six: Protection Under The Lotus

-Kuai's POV- I turn my head at the sound of footsteps approaching. "Kuai Liang..."
"Hello, Raiden." I murmur, not turning around. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Raiden sit next to me on the steps. "Why are you dressed in black?"
I sigh. "I followed the group over to the cyber factory. Tundra pretty much yelled at me and teleported me here. Wanted to keep me safe. But why must they treat me like a child? Yes, I am younger than Bi-Han and Hanzo...but I do not want to be seen as less of a fighter."

"They care about you." Raiden explains gently. "Bi-Han has not been the same since he accidentally harmed you. None of them want to see you hurt."
"But I want to help them in the fight. What if they don't come back? Or they do, but are hurt?! What if..." I begin to hyperventilate, panicked thoughts spinning around in my head as that pressure returns in my chest.
"Remain calm, Kuai Liang." Raiden's voice is stern but not harsh. "Hanzo explained to me how you and Tundra can communicate. Both you and him share the same pain. You are not currently hurting, correct?"

I stare at him. "No..."
"Then you have nothing to worry about currently. When the time is right, communicate with Tundra. Come inside, Kuai. I can have a room set up for you where you can talk to him alone."
We both get up and I follow him into the temple.
****
After eating dinner and tucking Kana into bed in a separate room, I lay in my guest bed, unable to sleep. I sit up, trying to slow my breathing.
Maybe meditation will help.

Bi-Han had to teach me how to do it again. I can still see the subtle pain in his eyes when he was teaching me. "Relax." I murmur, sitting on my legs and closing my eyes. I form an ice ball between my hands and keep it there. Keeping the ice ball formed makes it easier to concentrate.

I let my mind wonder, seeing hazy images distort like moving water before I can tell what they are. I'm suddenly launched into a memory.
I see through my flashbacks eyes. My scar was burning. Bi-Han and I getting into a verbal fight after I had slammed Hanzo into the wall. The pain in my brother's eyes as he kicks me in the abdomen. The motion blur as I'm sent flying back. Recalling Bi-Han's hysterical voice as he screams to himself.... "Look at you! You're still just a bully! Nothing's changed!" His pained wail. Gods, how could I forget such a horrid and heartbreaking sound?
My fear and confusion when I woke up. Not being able to understand any of them. Their fear as I'm recovering in bed. Bi-Han admitting that he hurt me. Him breaking down in sobs at my bedside.

I snap my eyes open, losing my concentration entirely as the ice ball shatters on the floor. "Oh...Bi-Han..." I cover my mouth to choke back sobs. Tears flood my eyes as realization comes crashing down. That's why he is so gentle with me now. That's why he acts all brotherly again.

I pull the white blanket around me tighter. "Bi-Han, I'm so sorry..." I weep. "Why did put myself in danger? Dàgē, I'm so sorry..."