Chapter 28 (Come Wake Me Up)

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 28

Come Wake Me Up

Hope

“I love you, angel.”

Those four words had been playing in my mind for almost three months. They played like a scratched CD in my head; over and over again. I had tried everything in my power to stick to my words. I kept telling myself that I still loved Ethan the same way I did when we first got married. Tonight seemed to be the end of the ongoing internal war with myself. I couldn’t lie to myself anymore. Being with Ethan was wrong. I loved Dem.

Tonight every cherished memory I held onto of me and Dem play through my mind.  From the moment we met:

            "And who are you?"

"My name is Hope Winters. I'm new here."

"Speak up child."

"My name is Hope Winters and I'm new here."

"Well, I don't tolerate tardiness Miss Winters. That goes for you, too Mr. Carter."

"Awe, come on Mrs. Wilson, I wasn't late."

"But you almost were Mr. Carter. You can take a seat next to Mr. Carter, Miss Winters."

When he introduced me and invited me into his group of friends. The same people I still consider my best friends:

            "Hey, Hope, over here!"

"Hey.”

"Everyone, this is Hope she's new here."

"I'm Jace."

"I'm Holly."

"I'm Mindy and this is Mike."

"That's Ian and Chelsea sitting next to you."

"Wow your friends are so diverse. No offense to anyone. I'm just used to people sticking to the stereotypical cliques."

"Once you get to know Dem you'll know the word 'clique' isn't in his vocabulary."

The memory of our first kiss brings a fresh wave of tears to my sore eyes and I pour another glass of wine.

            Suddenly, Dem rolls over on his side and props up on his left elbow. He reaches with his right hand and brushes my hair behind my left ear then cups my cheek. My breath catches in my throat as he leans in towards me. At the moment my heart is literally pounding in my chest. I close my eyes as I feel his lips lightly brush mine and for a second. I question myself if they ever really touched mine. Then he does it again only this time he presses his lips to mine all the way. It's as if every nerve ending in my body is on fire. He continues his sweet assault on my lips for about a minute before he pulls away leaving me breathless. I slowly open my eyes to see his blue eyes staring at me with so much intensity that I have to look away.

I fumble with the angel wings necklace hidden under my shirt until it is out and visible as that memory rushes forward. I open it to reveal the picture of Dem and I.

            "Oh my gosh! Dem, this is gorgeous."

"Watch this."

"You can change it if you want."

"No, not yet at least. Not until there's a better one taken of us. Will you put it on me?"

"Of course I will."