Chapter 27 (Pretending)

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 27

Pretending

Dem

I listened to Mom’s conversation on the phone with impatience. When she first answered she thought it was Holly. You could imagine my surprise when she said Hope’s name. I was bouncing on my heels as I heard her beginning to end the conversation. Try as I might I wasn’t able to understand everything she and Hope were talking about through the bedroom door. It was silent for a few seconds then I was stumbling into Mom’s room. She gave me a pointed look before bursting out laughing.

“Well, what did she say?’ I asked impatiently.

“Holly and the girls have convinced her to talk to you and let you explain yourself.” Mom beamed. She was happy for me.

“Awesome! Is she coming here tomorrow?” I asked excitedly.

“No, Ethan has forbidden her from seeing any of us. We are meeting at Holly’s house tomorrow at noon.” Mom explained.

“Ethan has forbidden her from seeing you and Danny? That’s insane. That bastard really wants me to lose it. If he lays a hand on her while I’m here-well- let’s just say I would be in prison for murder. And believe me Mom; I can make his death a very long and painful one.” I was shaking with rage at just the thought of him laying a finger on my Hope.

“Calm down Demitrious! She is willing to listen. Don’t push her to come back to you. It has to be her decision. I want you two together just as much as you do.” Mom said in a calming voice.

“Sorry, I just hate the thought of him controlling her like he does. She’s not a possession; she’s a human being, Mom. He treats her as if she’s a dime a dozen. What he doesn’t realize is he is in the presence of an angel. Hope has the most innocent and purest heart, and he is tainting it.” I said sadly.

“Oh sweetheart, I am so sorry you have had to go through all that you have been through. If anyone deserves happiness it is you.” Mom smiled sadly at me.

“It wasn’t your fault, Mom. I can only guess that you feel guilty for me doing what I did, but ultimately the decision was mine. I didn’t want Danny and I going into Child Protective Services. I didn’t want to risk the chance of us being separated.” I admitted.

“You always were protective over Danny and me.” Mom smiled a watery smile as tears streamed down her face.

“It was my responsibility to protect you. I was the man of the house.” I pointed out.

“You still are the man of the house. I don’t know how we made it without you.” Mom sighed as she wiped her tears away.

“Thanks Mom. If you are trying to boost my ego for tomorrow you are doing an awesome job.” I joked.

“Everything will work out. It may not work out tomorrow, but Hope will eventually realize that you and her were meant to be together.” Mom patted me on the shoulder before walking to the kitchen to start dinner.

That night I didn’t sleep at all. I kept going over different scenarios in my head as to what I would say to Hope and how she would react. Each one ended with her hating me and never wanting to see me again. By the time the Sun began to rise I was out of bed and dressed. I decided to go to the park and sit in our tree to collect my thoughts. I still had no clue as to how I would persuade Hope to come back to me. I could understand why she didn’t want to divorce Ethan, but I couldn’t understand why she would continue to let him bring her down. Hope is a smart girl and she always held her own in our relationship. I guess that’s the difference in us and them. Hope and I always talked about what was going on in our lives. We didn’t have secrets and If we had a problem we talked through it. There were no arguments or violence. We didn’t try to control each other. In our eyes we were equal.