Chapter 6 (Just A Kiss)

Beautiful Disaster

Chapter 6

Just A Kiss

Hope

I sigh with disappointment. I really wanted Dem to kiss me just now. What is he afraid of? I can hear the storm picking up speed as I lay next to Dem. I really hate thunderstorms, but I'm too distracted by how close we are lying next to each other. Damn it! I want a kiss! I roll over so that I'm facing Dem. He's laying on his back looking at my glow in the dark stars on my ceiling.

"Dem." I whisper trying to get his attention.

"Yeah?" He replies.

"Do you like me?" I ask.

"Of course I do. You're a really good friend of mine." Dem answers.

"No, I mean as in more than a friend." I clarify.

"Hope..." Dem trails off.

"It's ok if you don't. I just wanted to know." I try to cover up the disappointment in my voice, but I know he could hear it.

Suddenly, Dem rolls over on his side and props up on his left elbow. He reaches with his right hand and brushes my hair behind my left ear then cups my cheek. My breath catches in my throat as he leans in towards me. At the moment my heart is literally pounding in my chest. I close my eyes as I feel his lips lightly brush mine and for a second. I question myself if they ever really touched mine. Then he does it again only this time he presses his lips to mine all the way. It's as if every nerve ending in my body is on fire. He continues his sweet assault on my lips for about a minute before he pulls away leaving me breathless. I slowly open my eyes to see his blue eyes staring at me with so much intensity that I have to look away.

"I like you as more than a friend too Hope, but we can't be together." Dem finally speaks breaking the silence.

"Why not?" I whisper on the verge of tears.

"Because, it wouldn't be fair to you. We'll be graduating this year and we'll end up going our separate ways. Plus, I don't want to ruin our friendship." Dem explains.

"So you won't even give us a chance?" I quickly swipe away a tear that escaped.

"Trust me. You don't want to be with me." Dem scoffs.

"How can you sit here and tell me what I do and don't want?" I cry.

"Please don't cry. I just know you're going to end up getting hurt, and I really can't stand the thought of hurting you." Dem raises his right hand and wipes away my tears.

"Please, I want you to be mine. I have for a while now." I admit.

"You don't give up do you?" Dem chuckles.

"No, not when I feel as strongly about someone like you." I agree.

"Hope, I really don't want to hurt you, and me hurting you is inevitable. It can't be stopped." Dem sighs.

"Then I'll just have to deal with it when the time comes won't I?" I say stubbornly.

"But I don't want you to have to deal with that kind of hurt." Dem replies.

"What can you do to me that's going to hurt me so bad?" I ask.

"Let's just say I mad a deal with a very bad person and they are coming to collect their payment right after we graduate." Dem vaguely explains.

"It can't be that bad." I scrunch my nose.

"It is, but shhh. I don't want to talk anymore." Dem leans in and brushes his lips against mine.