Days and Delays

Harris

"You're a great friend" that's what I kept repeating in my mind. After years of ignoring her, she was still there for me, but I wasn't there for her. Last night after the dinner me and Thea, we ditched the rest of the gathering with the counsel and me and her were able to talk. She was able to comfort me when my own parents could not comfort me about the prospect of marriage. Last night me and Thea just looked at the stars while we drank are feelings away and time passed. Usually when I drink around girls it always ends up waking up the next morning to see the girl I had laid try and think we had some special romantic relationship since we slept together, but it wasn't it was just a lazy one night stand I didn't want anything else.

I was heading to my father's office and knocked on the door, I knew today the next meeting with the counsel was even more important for our kingdom. When the door was answered, my father went back to his desk and I followed and sat across from him. "Son, what did you think of the meeting?" I leaned back against the comfortable chair and exhaled, "I don't know it would be a big change to our people to separate part of the country after almost twenty years." My father nodded his head "That's how I feel, but when we made the agreement it was to help the country to be reformed and to end war." My father was looking at some of the paperwork he had in a folder, "Last night the council gave me some of the plans to separate, and there very well thought out, and they want to do another monarchy." With that statement I let out a laugh, "As if that worked out so well for them last time given their uprising." My father looked up and stared, "It was bound to happen the King was a very bad man, even more so his wife." Something was bothering my father he looked like he was deep in thought. "But his children didn't deserve death, they never stood a chance in that family." He looked back down to his paperwork, "Enough about that, we will separate the Kingdom, but we must remain in good standing, and that would be to merge the two countries through marriage."

I nodded my head this was not what I wanted, "This is the only solution marriage; I don't like it, but a lot of our trades are from Sikkovia their land is rich and it provides our Kingdom with much of our profits." I was silent I didn't know how to react, "I know we always told you that marriage was not to be forced upon you, like it was between me and your mother, but it is needed at the moment." It was an awkward silence I could feel my heart beating very fast, but it made sense, I had to do this for my kingdom. "I understand father, it is what is needed for this kingdom." He looked at me and tried to give me a reassuring smile,"You have changed; if I would of asked you almost a month of ago you would of said no, why now?" I got up from my chair and turned towards the door, "Knowing that it's my job now."

I had walked down the common areas still deep in my thoughts, when Thea was walking carrying some boxes towards the kitchen. I had hoped she would walk past me and not notice I was not in a good mood and that I didn't want to talk to her, but no she had to. "Harris, what's wrong?" I didn't bother to glance at her and continued to walk away, but a few seconds I felt Thea by my side no longer carrying the boxes so I sped up my pace to try and lose her, but she grabbed my arm and I stopped, "What's wrong Harris? I know something is bothering you." I looked Thea in the eyes and I really didn't want to tell her about what I had to do, "Nothing, it's just work me and my father was discussing earlier that has me in this mood." She nodded her head, "Do you want to talk about it?" I shook my head, "No, not now maybe some other time." She just looked away and muttered okay. She then started to turn around and walk away, heading towards where she laid the boxes, but before she got too far I needed a favor from her. "Thea, can you meet me at the tree sometime at midnight to talk?" She picked up her boxes "Of course!"

The second meeting with the council was about to start, my father and mother had just walked in and sat down at the table. "Your highness did you think about our request for separation?" My father nodded his head, "Yes, me and my son had a conversation about the separation of Sikkovia from our kingdom, but we want to unite your kingdom through marriage with ours as suggested" Everyone nodded their heads in agreement, but not my mom. "When was this discussed and why was I not included?" My mother turned and look at my father, she did not look happy. "We will discuss this after in private." My mother got up from her chair and left the dining room not happy. My father looked at the empty seat my mother had left, "But my son will have final say on his bride, but it will be from someone of Sikkovia descent as promised for this separation agreement."

It had been a couple of hours since dinner and my father had made an agreement to combine two countries through marriage. After dinner my father had gone to searched for my mom, in all my years of watching her play the doting role of Queen and being loved by the people, this was the one time she has ever left a royal engagement. I was confused at my mother's outburst, but knew if anyone was able to calm her down it was my father. I looked up at the night sky, I had made my way to the tree earlier so I could just be alone and to really think about how my life was changing. I heard movement from behind me to see that Thea came early. "I had a feeling you would be here after the second dinner with the council earlier then you said." And with that Thea came and sat by me and smiled and I felt a little better to have some good company.