Not Fun in The Sun

Harris

I had to make sure everything was perfect, tonight was the night. It was when the kingdoms would reunite in a proposal and have an eventual marriage between the two kingdoms. I decided we would just have a walk through the gardens and I would ask Beth for her hand in marriage. I knew she would say yes, it wasn't like I didn't know her real motive in this relationship. I just couldn't move past the conversation between me and Thea earlier. I knew I had to do this, it was my duty, but I knew Beth would be an easy bride. I would need Beth to have my future heirs and to be my partner to stand by me, but I knew I was settling with Beth.

The castle workers were all busy getting everything settled for tonight. I had the maids inform Beth of our meeting in the gardens for the night. I didn't have a chance to inform my mother of the Proposal as she was away for her charity, but I did have my father around to help me. I was currently getting ready and looking in the mirror when my father came to me, "Is this what you really want to do Harris?" I nodded my head, I knew that duty before happiness was more important, I was born to please other people. My father gave me a hug and I walked towards the garden to meet with Lady Beth, I knew that this was it, this would change the whole kingdoms and my life.

This whole time I spent in the presence of Lady Beth all I could do was think about Thea, it hadn't even been a full twenty four hours since our talk, since I basically told her I wanted nothing to do with her. But in reality, I cared for what she thought of this whole charade, but it didn't matter she didn't feel the same way. Me and Beth was walking in the garden, but I was busy deep in my thoughts, all she did was talk about the nonsense that I didn't care for. The moment came when I had to get down on my knee to ask for her hand in marriage, the final moment for this plan. I held Beth's hand before I knelt on the ground, as I got onto my knee I still held her hand. "Beth, will you do me the honor to join me in the journey of marriage?" She let out a girly squeal, "Of course Harris!"

News spread of my marriage proposal between two kingdoms, once Beth said yes, I busied myself in work. We had an agreement, but I didn't want to be giving press interviews of this event, eventually a marriage will happen, it was part of my duty. It had been two full days since the proposal, eventually we had to give a press conference later this evening. I was in my office looking out the window lost in thought, "Harris are you sure you want to do this?" I turned and saw my mother, I nodded my head. "Mom don't worry about me, Beth is an okay girl and we can make this work." I opened my arms wide to give her a hug, when I was younger her hugs could always make me feel better. "I just thought with that letter you gave Thea something would change between the two of you and you guys would have a chance." If only she ever knew, but some crappy letter wouldn't change things between us.

The time came I was dressed to impress, the official announcement was too be aired during prime time news. Staff were attending the formal hall, making sure everything was perfect, but I couldn't stop looking for her, even though I didn't want to see her. Damn, when did everything become so confusing. Me and Beth was pushed to the spots of where we were to stand, she grabbed my arm and held on. The cameras turned on and now it was showtime.

It's officially out to the public, Beth couldn't stop the smirk on her face from appearing. I went towards my parents and they both offered smiles, Beth was to busy playing in front of the cameras. "Son I hope you're truly happy with Lady Beth." I nodded my head there was not much to say after all, this was my role to fulfill. "I just wonder how poor Thea is taking the news about her real parents." I turned and look at my mom, "You know finding out who your parents are and how they didn't want to have anything to do with you, I hope you are there for her Harris." I didn't know what she meant by that statement. "What do you mean by that?" Asking this question made my mother upset, "Your telling me you don't know what the letter said about her parents." My mom hit me on the shoulder, "I told you to give Thea the letter at the right time and for you to watch out for her." She then attempted to hit my shoulder again before my father grabbed her arm, "Honey I'm sure there's a good explanation for what Harris did, right son?" Growing up I was not afraid of my parents when I was in trouble, but now was a time I was afraid, because I would have to talk about my feelings for Thea.