Maybes

Harris

 I felt horrible, I threw myself into my work, this meant I spent a lot of time with my father to learn from him. After the ball and finding everything out about Thea, I changed my tune. My father attempted to talk to me about Thea, but I changed the subject. I didn't know why I was this upset, things needed to go to normal; Thea didn't want to see me, but I'll make her regret everything about last night.

  Lady Beth and I made many public appearances. The more I spent time with her the more I couldn't stand her, she really was an airhead, and she didn't get along with my friends. As far as the public knew Beth and I were the perfect couple to the public, we decided on a date for a wedding or more so Beth did. It was going to be a summer wedding and that was almost a couple months away and I had plenty of time. It had been almost two weeks of avoiding Thea I saw her around with the kitchen staff doing her normal duties, but she never looked my way. I decided it was better this way, just to see her as another staff and act like I never knew her.

  We had almost a month or so to the wedding date and I kept myself busy. I found out that Lady Beth knew about Thea being a Princess, her parents were close friends with her real parents. That's what she meant when she told me that Thea could be in danger, and thinking more made me realize Thea could be in more danger if the truth came out about her. The best thing was for her to remain on these castle grounds. My parents wanted to have a dinner with just me and them, with everything going on at the moment I was kind of relieved to have a chance of being without Lady Beth. I walked into the dining room and went around and gave my mother and father a hug. I took my seat across from them, "How has everything been Harris?" My mother asked growing up we used to be so close, but as I got older I became more independent and rebellious. "I'm doing fine, just been preoccupied with work and everything."

  Dinner was going fine my parents were telling me about an upcoming trip that they planned. "So you guys are going to be gone for almost two weeks?" Before I would plan an epic party or go and sneak off myself for a some vacation time with my friends, but me and friends weren't that close anymore. It was like they were ignoring me , but it wasn't like I was really trying to get hold of them that hard. "I'm sure we can trust you to be on your best behavior." I nodded my head, "Harris whats wrong with you seem distanced from us and your friends lately, is this about Lady Beth?" I picked up a bite of my food and shoved it in my mouth to avoid this topic, because I knew where it would lead. With me not bothering to answer anything that involved Lady Beth, the dinner ended early. But my father got up and turned to look at my mom with an adoring look, before he walked away leaving just my mom and me.

  "Your father told me everything about the talk you two at the ball." My mother looked at me with a serious face, "What is the deal with you and Thea?" I don't know if I should lie to my mom this time or really tell the truth. "It's complicated mom." She nodded her head, "I have all the time in the world right now for you Harris." I debated in my head on telling the truth or a lie, But I decided on the truth, "Me and Thea never really dated, it was all a facade to get me out of marrying a stranger." My mother seemed to be in deep thought about what I just had said, but I wanted to make sure she knew my reason. "I was scared and so when I saw Thea, I decided I needed to lie about being in a relationship, but I didn't think she would go along with it and that it would turn into something." My mom she nodded her head "You care for Thea, don't you?" Did I care for her other than a friend, I didn't want to admit it or I really don't know. "It was always supposed to be fake, not turn into something real." I looked down at my hand and kept repeating this sentence in my mind, before I looked at my mom. "But for some damn reason I really started to feel something for Thea."