Crying or Lying

Harris

It was almost nighttime I had a date with Beth and her parents at some fancy restaurant. But for some reason I found myself in the kitchen, subconsciously I was brought here. I listened to the staff as they walked around whispering about Thea, but when they finally saw me they bowed with respect. I had to see her, that's when I saw her in a corner wiping down a counter with tears falling down her face. She didn't notice me right away, but when she looked up I saw her tear stained face, and my heart broke. I never wanted to see Thea cry, seeing her like this made me feel bad for leaving her to deal with the repercussions of our deal. She attempted to wipe her face trying to hide the fact that she was crying, "We need to talk Thea." I moved closer to her, but she backed away, "There's nothing to talk about your Highness." Thea stated  in a dry tone voided of any emotion. We both stared at each other, trying to see who would break first.

She crossed her arms, "Why are you here?" In truth, I didn't even know why I was here, but I wanted to see her. She started to turn away before I walked closer to her and grabbed her arm, she turned to face me and we were both so close, I looked at her face and saw how tired and sad she looked. I saw her green eyes no longer lit up with happiness and her eyes swollen from crying, that's when I pulled her into a hug and she hugged me back, and in that moment everything felt right and natural with us. I let her lay her head against my shoulder while I held her tight, "I'm sorry Thea, for everything." She pulled back from the hug and smiled, "You're already forgiven." She smiled, "I have to go meet Beth, but we need to talk later tonight." She nodded her head and I headed towards where I was needed.

When I arrived for dinner, I was a little late, but Beth and her parents didn't say anything. "So any plans for a wedding date?" Beth's mother asked, Beth grabbed my arm, squeezing it "Soon I want a summer wedding." I nodded my head in agreement, waiting for this dinner to be over, most of it included about plans about children, and Beth and her mother talking about wedding Ideas. This whole dinner was uneventful and full of nonsense that I sadly had to be present too.

When I arrived back to my room, I was restless, something was bothering me. This whole thing with a marriage and taking on more responsibility and eventually being King felt like a lot of pressure. I decided to go for a walk, but more so a walk towards Thea's room. I told her we needed to talk and I needed to see her, she forgave me, but I felt guilty for everything I did to her in the past. I found myself outside her door after midnight. I hesitated to knock, but I did and waited for the door to open and see if she was up.

The door opened a few minutes later and I could tell Thea was sleeping. She was wearing a loose shirt and shorts, "I need to talk to you." I walked past her and went and sat on her bed, she slowly followed and sat beside me. "Do you even know what time it is?" The light was off in the room, the only light that was provided was the moon shining. "I know it's late, but I need to talk to someone, or more so I wanted to talk to you." She made herself comfortable on the bed "What's wrong Harris?" I could tell from her tone she was worried "I'm freaking out Thea, everything between me and Beth is happening too fast." She put her arm on my shoulder, giving it a little massage, "I know you can do it Harris, just know I'll always be there for you." She was facing me and I could see her face with the natural light the moon provided. All I wanted at that moment was to kiss her lips, I leaned in closer, and so did she. I felt her breath against my lips, before she pulled back and we both came to our senses.

I ended up falling asleep in Thea's room, nothing between us got awkward between the both of us. When I woke up Thea was pressed against my chest, and I held her tight. Looking at Thea while she slept in my arms was wrong, but I didn't want this moment to end between the both of us. The best thing for the kingdom was marriage with Lady Beth, but then again, I wanted to be truly happy. I held Thea in my arms, but I knew we needed to talk about this situation between the both of us, more so what was our relationship. Were we friends or enemies, or even strangers, we both had a complicated relationship.