Dinner Plate and Fakes

Thea

  Today I was at the orphanage helping with the kids, it was busier than usual since today was the visit of Harris celebrating a new grant for us to fix up some of the issues that needed to be addressed. I was focusing on the younger kids making sure they were well dressed for the event and looked presentable. Now that all the kids were dressed and looked perfect it was my turn to focus on myself, all the staff had to wear black and girls had to wear a dress and the men in black pants and a black dress shirt so that people would know the staff apart from everyone. Here I was in my dress, making sure my blond hair was in a tight bun and making sure I looked good.

  When I arrived where all the children were situated in the playing area the press was already filming a tour of the living spaces. I just stood from afar while I waited for Harris to come, this grant would be a huge thing that we could do for the children, we could even bring more children into this orphanage. Since I grew up here I was happy to see a better change would be for the future kids. Harris had arrived and I knew this, because I saw all the press squabble towards him, and I was happy that now he actually came, unlike last time. But, I will agree with his mother, he has changed, he was just a normal person wanting to have fun and everyone in the kingdom was waiting for him to mess up. From a distance Harris spotted me and gave me a smirk, but then I saw who was on his arm, that stupid bitch Beth.

  I was considered a no one I mostly stood behind the scenes of this event, mostly tending to the children while the event was going. Most of the buzz was over Harris date, he's never gone public with a girl like this. Some reason this bothers me, he brought Beth someone who probably didn't care about this whole damn event or about anyone else. The event lasted hours and I was kept busy with the children and making sure everything ran smoothly. I was busy tending to one of the toddlers in the nursery when I heard Harris and the press entering the room. I tried hurrying up my work and put the child on the ground to lead them away from all the commotion, when Harris came up to me with the press following.

  A microphone was shoved in my face while Harris was answering questions, "This here is Thea, she has been here at the orphanage since she was a baby, with the access of the this grant it will help the children who grew up in the orphanage to further their careers and advance towards further degrees, then working here at the castles." The microphone was still shoved in my face, but I was hurt, I was used as an example for this event, "How do you feel about the grant being provided would of help you succeed in your life, by giving you access to education and furthering a career?" Me and Harris made eye contact, but I soon made contact with the reporter; not knowing how to respond to the answer I nodded my head to the questions that were asked of me. At that moment I felt so dumb, I wasn't a success of the orphanage I was used as an example for the failure of the old program.

  The event was slowly ending people were leaving and I was cleaning up the kids room, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. "I think this event was pretty successful and I heard a couple of the kids are about to get adopted due to all the press." I turned around and looked at Harris and gave him a smile, "Oh come on Thea, are you saying it wasn't a success?" I turned back around and started picking up some toys and walked to the nearest chest to put them away, "No, it was perfect you did a really good thing today." He walked closer to me and we were so close, almost too close "What's wrong, did I do something?" I looked away so we didn't make eye contact. "I know something is wrong and I'm not leaving until you tell me what it is." I still avoided making eye contact and looked down at the floor, "When you were interviewing me it just made me think how I have never left the castle to go my own way, I finished school and I still have never been too far away, my life has always been situated with living here being just a poor castle worker and orphan." I looked up to see Harris listening intently to me, he pulled me into a hug "Don't worry Thea your still young, who knows maybe this year will be the year you decide to adventure off on your own, but know I'm here for you now." I smiled nodding my head against his shoulder.

  Harris wanted me to meet Beth in a formal setting so he decided we have dinner in the garden. I was happy that he wanted me to get to know Beth, and that he cared about my opinions on her. But there were still doubts in my mind that he could fall in love with her and marry her, and I would lose Harris again. I looked in the mirror and looked at my appearance in reality, I didn't have a chance in outshining Beth, my hair was in loose curls and I just applied some light makeup that Mae taught me, I wore a blue casual dress that stopped right before my knees and a pair of black flats. But Beth would steal the show of any man in the room with her looks, while I just look like a ugly child. I was nervous about this dinner, but I knew if I didn't leave yet I would be late.