Year 4: Part 5

The night before the second task, Draco was sitting in the library. He groaned, hanging his head as he stared at the book in front of him, not really seeing anything. Ever since the incident with Cedric the Slytherins had been ignoring Harry, who had decided to ignore them right back. Including Draco. So Draco had made a habit of spending all his free time in the library, pointedly avoiding any person wearing the green colors. He stared down at his book, one his father had recommended in one of his books. The topic (Influence of Salazar Slythetin on history) wasn't really interesting, but spending all his time among musty old books was better than staying in the Slytherin common room. The gossip from the past few weeks had been brutal.

The rumors ranged from Harry getting pregnant (some thing not entirely impossible in wizarding men, but very rare) to Draco, Cedric, and Harry having a threesome and then Draco got mad because Harry wanted an abortion. They were very obsessed with the idea that Harry Potter, king of snakes, got pregnant from a Hufflepuff. Draco gagged at the thought, heart burning in his chest. He'd hoped his crush would go away but the distance between the two just made the beast inside him even more powerful. His already small appetite had waned so much, Pansy would practically have to force feed him.

He closed the book, unable to think anymore. Thinking hurt. A lot. Draco stood, pulling the thick novel to his chest, letting out a sigh.

That's when someone with messy black hair emerged from the Restricted Section. Harry glanced around, making sure no one could see him. His now always-heavy eyes fell upon Draco, widening with horror, clutching a thick volume to his bosom. Throwing aside his rationality, Draco approached Harry staring at the books in his small hands. "What are you doing?"

"Why do you care?" Harry quipped, stepping back.

Draco easily took the book from Harry's shaking hands. "Why are you researching the Dark Arts? Aren't you supposed to work for the good guys, always running to Daddy Dumbledore? Or is Cedric your daddy? Weren't you supposed to be in Hufflepuff? That's what people are saying now."

Harry cringed. "No I wasn't supposed to be in Hufflepuff. And I'm not Dumbledore's pet. Have you ever thought that me sucking up to him would be the perfect cover to weasel my way into the Light? I have Dumbledork shoved under my thumb."

Draco raised an eyebrow, impressed. "More like he has his thumb shoved up your arse. Have to say though, not bad for a badger sucker."

Harry leaned against the wall, frail body weighing him down. "Is that what they're calling me now?" he said sleepily.

"Haven't you been in the Slytherin common room?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't have a death wish. You haven't noticed?"

"I've been avoiding the common room as well."

"Why?" Harry tilted his head to one side, making Draco's heart pound wildly. So cute

"I don't have a death wish. "

Harry went silent, seeming to remember he was supposed to be mad at Draco. "I wonder why that would be." He spat.

Draco swallowed. He deserved that. But he could never explain why he did it, he couldn't admit that he... That he liked Harry. "Look... I didn't mean-"

"Save it." Harry shoved past Draco but the blond easily caught him, ears reddening at the contact.

"Hear me out."

"No. " Harry wiped his nose, then his eyes, trying to push past the taller boy.

"Please." Malfoys were not supposed to say "please", but Draco was desperate.

"WHY?" He yelled all of a sudden.

He knew what Harry meant. Why had he exposed him. Why had he ruined their friendship.

He took a shaken breath, placing a hand over his heart and hanging his head. "I can't..."

But Harry had already figured it out. The realization struck him so quickly. He made a little squeaking sound, peeling himself away from Draco and running. He'd forgotten the book on his way out. Draco stroked the spine before opening it, opening it to a page Harry had dog-eared. He titled his head, why was Harry researching something called Horcruxes?

Before he could continue to read, trying to discover what a Horcrux was, someone tapped him on the shoulder. He whirled around, feeling guilty for no reason. Snape raised an eyebrow. "Come on, you're needed in the office. We need you for the task."

Hesitantly, Draco followed him.

The next time Draco regained consciousness, Harry was hovering over him. Water was everywhere. Harry had his wand pointed at his chest, trying to get the water out of his lungs when Cedric ran up behind him, wrapping his arms around Harry. "You did it baby!"

Harry grinned, leaning up and kissing the sopping wet Cedric quickly before finishing with Draco, drying the three of them off as well as a blonde girl he hadn't noticed earlier. 

Draco didn't know what to feel. Obviously he still meant something to Harry because he'd been chosen for the task.

Yet Harry just walked away with his boyfriend and left Draco shivering in the stand, a thousand questions running through his head.