twenty eight • doctors aren't cool

Chris's POV

Maddie held onto the kitchen table as Ricky and I tried to pry her off. She had a doctor's appointment. We decided that it couldn't wait any longer. She's been sleeping nonstop for the past three days.

"I'm not going!" She protested.

"Yes, you are!" I replied.

"Dad, please!"

"Maddie!"

She groaned and let go, falling into Ricky and I's arms. "Thank you," I say.

"Are you gonna change?" Ricky looked at her yellow Addidas joggers and Oliver's black Addidas hoodie. "You're flexing Addidas today, huh?"

"Yep. And I'm not changing."

"Stop being so stubborn, Maddie," I said. "I'm not gonna make you change, but just cooperate today, please."

"Well, I'm letting you take me to the doctor's office - the doctor's office in the UK. They're probably weirdos here."

"C'mon, let's go." I grabbed her hand and kissed Gaia on the cheek. Time to find out what's wrong with my daughter.

Maddie and I got into the taxi and I told him we needed to go to the nearest hospital. Maddie huffed and leaned against the opposite side of the car that I wasn't on.

Once we got into the doctor's office, Maddie was already about to fall asleep again. Her phone went off and made her jump.

She smiled and answered her incoming FaceTime. I heard Remington's voice, and then Emerson laughing, and Sebastian shouting.

She talked with them for a few minutes, complaining about me making her come to the doctor's. She said goodbye just as her doctor walked in.

"I'm Dr. Martins," he said. "What's going on with your daughter?"

I explained the situation to him. He asked for a blood sample, which Maddie had a bit of trouble agreeing to. She squeezed my hand as if she was in labor when he poked the needle into her arm.

"Ten minutes and I'll be back with the results," he told us with a smile.

Maddie fidgeted with her septum ring as we waited. "Can I get another piercing?"

"Uh, probably. Where?"

"My philtrum," she replied, pointing above her top lip.

"It'd look good with your septum."

"Yeah."

Dr. Martins walked in and sat down. I hoped it wasn't anything bad. "There's nothing serious going on here," he started. "She's just getting a malnourishmemt with a certain vitamin she needs. Is anyone in the house vegan?"

"My mom is," Maddie said. I smiled hearing her call Gaia that.

"Do you all eat vegan meals?"

"Not all the time, but mostly."

"Some people lack something called B12 when they go on a vegan diet. Maddie needs B12 supplements if she wants to continue her vegan diet," he explained.

"So, she's okay?" I questioned.

"Yes, but she absolutely needs B12. If you wait to long, her condition could get worse. You can find them at the nearest store."

"Thank you."

Maddie and I gathered our things and headed outside. I called a taxi and asked to head to the nearest store.

I was happy Junebug was okay.

Don't tell me the B12 this isn't real, I know about this. I do my research. Also, I found seven baby rabbits, and I named three Remington, Emerson, and Sebastian.
     - salem

Edited and revised
533 words