80%

I walk downstairs unable to sleep the feel of his lips still on mine. 

I see a light on downstairs, who would be up at this hour. I smile at myself remembering Res reading his book at all hours of the day. 

I find Momma at the kitchen table her lips pursed in a thin straight line looking over pieces of paper, a cup filled with whiskey at her side.  

I sigh, I can be so disconnected sometimes I instantly feel guilty. 

I walk over to her and sit at the desk facing her. 

"Can't sleep?" I ask. 

"I have to get these documents for the council tomorrow." She says. I nodded my head as if I understood.  

"What are they for," I ask 

"Well, we're planning to cut the rate of boys allowed to be born. There are more men than ever and in order to keep order, we need to control the population. The public was outraged by that girl and boy found in the closet this week and they expect results." She replies. 

"So what are you going to do," I ask. 

"We are cutting the population of boys allowed to be born by 80%." She says. I gasp. 

"So-so what does that mean," I ask. 

"Well, we will mandate that only the top 20% of boys born will be allowed to be turned into slaves and given to their fathers until they're about 8. Then as you know they're made into house slaves then they are approximated. Once they've served their part they will either kill them or they will take care of future slaves until they're ready to move on." Momma replied. 

"Aren't you worried," I ask. 

"About what?" Momma replies still writing in her papers. 

"About Mage." Momma looks up. 

"Why would I be worried?" 

"What if she has a boy?" Momma looks at me her eyes cold and distant at the same time the alcohol seeping into her blood. 

"That won't happen." She replies looking down at her papers. 

"Momma?" I ask. 

"Hhhmm?" 

"Did you and Nanay ever have a boy?" I ask curiously.

"Why don't you go to sleep, it's getting late." She says I look down at her hand it's twitching at her side. 

"Momma are you okay."

"Yes go upstairs, make sure not to wake up Lana." She looks back at the paper. I stand up and move up towards the stairs. Pausing in the middle of the stairs to look out at the den in front of me. How could my mother be so cruel? I think about all the babies that might die because of this. 

But if she thinks that this is right, it must be. 

-------------------

Hey guys, 

Okay, I lied this is not long at all it's another short one. But I felt so inspired by the last chapter I knew that I needed to write another. 

PLease PlEaSE comment!! I really want to know what you guys think so that I can make the chapters better for you. 

Like and Share! Come back tomorrow for more. 

Love, 

-The Scribbler