A Mothers Love

I walk into the house in a daze, the feel of the room was similar to walking through a bowl of jello. Completely unaware of everything that was going on around me. I couldn't believe what I'd done, what I'd started. 

Only two months ago I hadn't cared about anyone except my family and Aria, but ever since I met  Res he had also been enveloped in my heart and try as I might he won't leave. And I could never imagine a world without him. 

   I walked into the main room and it was like I was breaking through a fog, my Momma was sitting at the end of the table her face drawn in a straight line a glass of amber liquid in front of her. Momma's eyes were clouded over as if this was not her first glass.

Although the most pressing of all was Mage curled up in the corner of the living room her eyes red holding her inflamed belly tears running down her face. The room was silent but the tension was palpable.    

"What happened," I ask, my voice like a tiny pinprick in a room full of silence. 

"Momma wants to kill my baby." Mage says her voice wavering. 

"It doesn't deserve to live," Momma says slurring her words. 

"It's your grandchild!" Mage says standing up swinging her arms up into the air. 

"That is not my blood, it is less than an animal," Momma says pointing a quivering finger at Mage's belly.  Her vision was unfocused and as she began to take a step forward she began to fall backward catching herself of the railing of the dining room table.   

"Mage? What's wrong with your baby?" I asked, Mage simply shook her head at a complete loss for words. 

"Nothing." She spat. Flames licking her eyes making her tear-streaked face glow.

"Baby I'm only trying to help you," Momma said trying to walk over to Mage. 

"Help me! How are you helping me by trying to kill my child?" Mage asks. 

"I am not trying to kill your child because that thing isn't human," Momma says taking a step closer to Mage. 

"It's my child." 

"It's a boy." She says. Mage is silenced by this her eyes blinking as if she can't even comprehend the facts placed in front of her. "It has to die either way," Momma says calmly as if explaining things to a two-year-old. "This way you don't have to carry it in your stomach for nine months and you can try again." 

"No." Mage says turning on her heal and walking up the stairs to her room slamming the door. 

Momma sits back down on her seat and rubbed the back of her neck. 

"Momma, are you okay?" I ask her. 

"Baby, pour me another whiskey I can't see the glass." I comply as I begin to pour the liquid into the glass. She sighs rubbing her temple. 

"Why can't Mage have her baby," I ask her. 

"Sometimes a mother might come off as harsh, but there is one thing that she will always do. It's ingrained into the very biology that makes a mother, protect her children. Even if her children don't see she's protecting them." Momma says her voice shaking. 

"That's what Mage is doing she protecting her baby. She just can't see that I'm trying to protect mine."