Never Let me Go

The screaming started at about four in the morning. 

I woke up to the sound of an ear piercing scream. Lana woke up in bed next to mine. 

"Who-what?" She asked her eyes clouded over. 

I ripped the covers off from on top of me and ran out of the room trying to find, the source of the screaming. 

While running in the hall I walk into a tall solid figure. The figure catches me by the arm, and when I look up I see that the person grabbing on to me is Res. He looks down on me in panic as we simultaneously run towards the screaming. 

We near the end of the hall where we see light streaming from the bottom of the bathroom. 

"Just breath baby, breath," Momma says from behind the door. 

"GET AWAY FROM ME YOU WITCH!!!!!" Mage screams. I suck in a breath and I here Res do the same thing behind me. 

I here Mage walling, as I watch a disgruntled Momma walk out the door.

"Momma, what's going on?" I hear a small voice ask behind me. 

"It's just Mage baby, she's just sick," Momma says coming closer to Lana. 

"I'm not a child anymore Momma," Lana says flinching away from Momma's touch. 

"Lana go to sleep." 

"Momma whats happening?" Lana asked her voice beginning to rise. 

"Go to your room!" Momma says Lana stomps her feet as she makes her way to her room slamming the door. 

"Just breath, honey." I here Carla tell Mage through the door. 

"Boy, get me some Brady," Momma says to Res who is standing at the doorframe,  his face pail. 

"GO!" Momma yells at him. He complies walking down the stairs swaying ever so slightly. 

Nanay walks up the stairs a glass of water and a heat pack in her hand. She opens the door of the bathroom, I hear her whispering calmly to Mage as she enters. 

Carla walks out the door, her face extremely exhausted. Carla walks to the bedroom that they were using as they stayed with us and shut the door behind her.

I listened to Mage weeping behind the bathroom door Nanay whispering comforting nothings to her, and then she began singing a song in Tagalog.  

Momma hobbled downstairs already unstable even though she had nothing to drink yet. 

I walk downstairs and out the backdoor. I am instantly hit by the breeze but the winter had melted into spring making it bearable to be outside. 

I leaned against the door and looked up at the sky of stairs above me. Once Momma had told me that there used to never be stars before the reconstruction because pollution used to be so bad that you could even see them. Sometimes the sky would even me yellow or orange because of all of the pollution. 

I sat and looked at the sky above me the stars spread out for miles, more than I could count. 

That's when I smelled the smoke. 

"Res?" I walked over to a dark shape at the edge of the property. 

"What's up princess," His voice sounded raw. 

"How are you?" I asked him, genuinely concerned. 

"I-I don't know." He said. 

I leaned my head on his shoulder. He took another long drag at his cigarette. 

"You know we're not supposed to be talking to each other." He said, a smirk on his face. 

"It seems that I do a lot of things I'm not supposed to these days," I say. He wraps an arm around my waist. 

"I like that side of you." He says I giggle. He smiles but it turns into a grimace. 

"Wait I'm supposed to be mad at you." He says running a hand through his hair. 

"How about this, for this moment I can hug you and you can hug me and we can just go on a...pause from being mad. But as soon as you let go we go back to reality." I say.  

"Then I never want to let go." He says softly. 

And I hold him and he holds me and for a moment, and for that moment with the stars above us and the city above us, there is just him and me, reality miles away.   

-------------------------

Hey peoples, 

Thank you so so much for reading my stuff! It's so so nice of you and I love you for it. Sorry for not updating yesterday I was swamped, you know how that goes. Although I updated twice today to make up for it. 

Please make me smile by like, commenting, or sharing. 

Thank you so so much, 

Sincerely, 

The Scribbler