Chapter 2

"I could die for you. But I couldn't, and wouldn't, live for you." - Ayn Rand

Earth Kingdom
Chrysanthemum Estate

Cara's POV

I was once again inside the cells that kept me locked up for weeks. My heartrate escalated in fear, thinking Chief Maqiel managed to follow where I was and brought me back. The other cells were empty though, but you can certainly feel there is tension in the air.

Maqiel...

He was in front of me, eyes drawn towards the puddle of blood on the cold floor. My blood. His pained expression was hidden from the view of his men, and regret was clear in his eyes. Did he regret imprisoning me in the cells? Or did he regret not coming on time to stop our unplanned escape?

"I should've ensured she's always close by." He muttered, eyes flicking to the man in robes beside him.

The man, a Cherubim, smiled in understanding. His powerful gaze drifted to my frozen form as if he knew I was watching the scene unfold. "You should've known better than to cage a free bird just because you want her to be yours. Her future's not tied with you, Maqiel, like how it wasn't in the past. Let her go, or you'll lose her the second time."

Those words rang in my head, cultivating memories locked hidden in my chamber of secrets. Pain seized my head as flickers of unfamiliar faces and blurred events flashed before my eyes. They made no sense. Are Maqiel and I close acquaintances in the past? I don't know anything about him other than him being the new Chief.

"Maybe this time it'll be different. Maybe this time I'll be more than her guardian."

My guardian?

I never had the chance to eavesdrop more into their conversation because darkness took over my vision once more and I returned to my sleep. Their words and exchange now forgotten, as two viridian orbs replaced that disturbing dream.

***

"You're regenerating ability is kicking in. You'll be as good as new in three days." Artemis informed, patting me lightly on my shoulder.

"Three days, really?!" I groaned, clearly unamused. I don't want to be kept immobile longer than necessary. Time is ticking and I'm sure Maqiel's already hot on our heels.

I don't want to be caught.

"You need to restore your health, and whatever or whoever's chasing you won't find you here." My expression turned guarded, at the same time assessing whether she knew more about my situation. I pried silently with my gaze. "I've been on the run too - I still am, but when you have a royal beside you I can guarantee you're in the safest place."

"How do you know I was being chased? Accidents do happen, dear." I sighed, trying to deny her accusation.

"Please," she winked, "I know a haunted look when I see one. And yes, accidents do happen. However, isn't it strange for an archangel to have one? Especially if some of her wounds aren't from the fall."

I rolled my eyes, "You're too smart and it's annoying, trust me."

She raised an eyebrow, "That's a first."

"You being smart?"

"No, me being annoying."

I chuckled, relaxing. "What did you tell them?" I asked referring to our earlier discussion.

"Nothing you wouldn't like." I nodded appreciatively at her answer.

Heaven, the Air King, accompanied her when she went here. He's protective of her and I can see they're more involved in each other's lives than just being friends. I wasn't surprised when the doors to the infirmary opened and Heaven and Alexander walked in side by side, engaged in hushed whispers. Their posture definitely screamed tension and I let myself be the observer once again.

Did something happen?

When they reached our area Heaven kneeled in front of where Artemis was sitting, taking both of her hands in his.

"The White Castle is under attack. I have to go back, love."

I almost melted at the sight of the king softly talking to her. Nevertheless, Artemis still became worried. "I'm done here, we can still arrive in time to help." She moved to pack up her things but he didn't let go of her hands.

"No, love. I want you to stay here, where it's safe. I'm the only one heading back."

"No," She said with tears of frustration, "I want to help."

He smiled, kissing her softly on the forehead. "Knowing you're safe will help, a lot. I'll be back to get you personally when it's all settled." Artemis nodded as he stood and tapped Alexander on his shoulder, "Trust no one her safety, no one knows she's here aside from the royals."

After a few words he left the estate in his Aguila form, not bothering to use the car. She stayed with me in the infirmary together with Alexander who inquired about my health. We tried keeping her thoughts from wandering off, mostly Alex, but I know it still goes back to the thought of Heaven and his men fighting off their enemies. I helped pray for their safety silently.

***

Heaven came back for Artemis first thing in the morning. He was with the other royals when I first met them. Turns out that I was actually in the presence of Kings and Queens. The Alpha King Alessio and his wife, Fyrrah, the queen of the Fire Kingdom. I have a feeling Artemis' going to be a queen as well... soon.

And Alexander Erthe is the Earth Kingdom's heir to the throne, but he stepped down which confused me as hell.

Well, we all have secrets... deep, dark ones. I haven't shared mine yet, so I doubt I'll be knowing soon anything about him. I'm curious, but I won't pry... at least not now.

"We should probably eat, I don't want to send you off unaccommodated." Alexander voiced out, assisting me to sit on the bed. My wounds are now closed, but not totally healed yet.

I concentrated on my first pair of wings, it folded and disappeared completely on my back. The second set took time to retract since it's new and mostly battered. It took a few minutes for it to completely disappear. I sighed when it's done, and that's when I noticed all of them were staring at me.

"Um, why are you all staring?"

"The feathers shine when they reflect on each other, it's mesmerizing." Fyrrah stared at me in awe.

Another reminder of me being an anomaly.

"That's... normal. We do have angels with different wings." Yeah, like me and my prisonmates.

My stomach chose that opportunity to make my hunger known. I smiled sheepishly at Alexander who chuckled at me. "Let's get that thunder-making tummy some food, eh?"