Chapter 6

"Don't cry it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

Earth Kingdom
The Immortal Tree

Cara's POV

I stopped in front of the humongous tree, with Alexander and my friends right behind me. The last time I was here, I was totally scared. Now, having my friends with me made me appreciate the Immortal Tree's beauty rather than shake in anticipation of the monsters hiding inside it.

"The tree's huge, where are we going to start finding Toriel?" Alorah asked unsure.

I scanned our surroundings, taking in the three earth elves standing guard beside Alex. The men refused to let him leave without soldiers with him.

"We should enter by the roots. The higher we go the more dangerous the monsters are." Alex said, scanning the area around the tree's base.

The other elves started looking for a passage way as well and Azrael joined them. Alorah wrapped her arms around me and sighed, "I hope we'd find him right away. I miss that crazy guy."

I chuckled, "We'll find him, alright. You'll be in the Demon Kingdom in no time."

She stiffened, "You're not coming."

I glanced at her sad eyes, "It's safer for all of you if I won't come along. Maqiel wants me specifically, he'll soon forget about the three of you." I gave her hands a squeeze, "Besides, I promised Prince Alex my help."

She pouted, "But what if Maqiel finds you and take you back to the Celestial Kingdom? That man tried to marry you without your consent!"

I felt my body going rigid. I know what's going to happen once he finds me. Even the cherubims can't make him see reason. My troubled gaze landed on a pair of viridian eyes, warm and assuring. He's striding towards us, certainly having heard of the conversation between me and Alorah. Judging by his stance and aura, he doesn't like the idea of me back in Celestial Kingdom again.

"We found the entrance," He cleared his throat, giving Alorah a look that hints 'privacy'. Alorah nodded at us before running towards Azrael. Alex didn't waste time to wrap me in his arms and inhale my scent. "I won't let him have you, so stop thinking about that man." His soft growls made me shiver and I relaxed in his presence.

This man's changing, and I don't know if it's good or bad for the both of us. "You're not the same man I met in this exact place. The kind-hearted yet reserved man who offered me refuge."

"Believe me, I never knew I could be this possessive."

I giggled, "C'mon, they're waiting."

By waiting, I mean all of them pretending not to notice our more-than-friends embrace. When we got near them, an earth elf stood guard behind me. I gave the three a confused look when he didn't go back to Alex's side.

"Brace yourselves, expect the worst and don't ever wander on your own." Alex commanded like a true king, vines already twisting up his forearms. The three elves did the same, poised for any surprise attack. Alorah moved closer to Azrael who covered her with his black wings. I imagined one of my broadswords and one appeared on my hand.

We parted the vines hanging over the entrance and one by one we entered one of the tree's roots, the darkness swallowing us on our way. My sword glowed softly and we can see a hint of dirt and rocks on the ground. Moss littered the wall and the smell really screams wet earth. The light wasn't enough though, because I tripped and almost impaled myself with my sword.

"Shit," I cursed, standing properly. They chuckled and Alex summoned a green orb of light, more brighter than what I have. I just shrugged and followed them.

After a few turns we saw light at the end of the tunnel roots and we emerged in a pool of crystal clear water. Instead of rocks, gems of different color adorned the sides. There are four exits where the water flows and I knew right then that this is where the water all over the realm comes, the Immortal River specifically.

"Wow..." Alorah said in amazement.

We stepped back abruptly when the water bubbled and a flower bud emerged. When the bubbling stopped it opened and a very beautiful woman sat in the middle with a crystal ball in her arms. Her hair, skin and irises white, dressed in soft petals. She stared at us in silence before her eyes glowed as well as the crystal. An image reflected on it.

Alorah...

She was using her earth powers against angels attacking her and... Toriel? She can lift earth that made the attackers retreat.

Azrael...

He tapped his demon alter ego and fought alongside Alorah and Toriel. Next, he was shown reuniting with his wife and child.

Alexander...

A crown, and then him and Maqiel in the battlefield. His warrior lion form fought with dominance and wild grace.

The three elves' valor were shown as well and then nothing. No sign of my existence or future undertakings. Even defeat I would accept, hey.

"W-What about Cara, Oracle?" Azrael asked as he gave me a glance. The question seemed to be in all our heads.

The Oracle gave me a sad smile, "I cannot see past death."

I gasped, falling over my butt. It hurts but I didn't have the energy to stand. Not after knowing I'll die. Alexander cursed, arms wrapping around me tightly. "Shh... don't think about it. I won't let it happen."

Alorah cried in the background, "No! That's not true! She can't die!"

Alexander started growling in frustration, all his men surrounding us in an instant. The woman just smiled as if it's normal to deliver such bad news.

"I cannot see past death," and she has the nerve to repeat it again, "But I cannot predict death."

I closed my eyes in irritation, "What do you mean? I don't get it."

She blinked her white irises at me, "It means you're already dead."

Fuck.