Chapter 12

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy." - J. K. Rowling

Earth Kingdom
Chrysanthemum Estate
The Greenhouse

Alexander's POV

The Chrysanthemum Estate was a fresh reminder of the plans we still have to do.

Like claiming my throne and finding a way to throw Maqiel out of Cara's tracks.

We just got back from the Air Kingdom. Grange, Rion and the now One-armed Jino welcomed us with reports that were both good and bad. We are currently discussing the issues at the Greenhouse while other earth elves are feeding the animals going to and fro the estate.

What's good in this estate is that animals and beasts know they will be safe here, even though it seems gloomy to other people. They roam free all over the forests and come back as guests. My people have made strong connection with them, and they know how to extend help when needed. There was no need for chains and reins, they go willingly.

My heart blossomed upon seeing the amazed look on Cara's face every time a beast would come close and greet us with enthusiasm. She would scratch their neck and the back of their ears occassionally before sending them off to be fed.

"So, you're saying a rumor about my brother being sterile broke out in the entire kingdom?" I clarified upon hearing the news from Jino. I heard Cara stifling a giggle making me look at her.

She raised a brow, "I thought he was a womanizer?"

I nodded, "He is, quite the ladies' man. If he is truly impotent, we would have known years ago."

Is this another one of my parents' tricks?

Jino nodded, "The queen said the same thing, apparently. She said she had seen women throw themselves at him even for just one night of company. That is an enough proof that something's wrong with the crowned prince."

"They think he's cursed," Grange added, "And they suspect it was you who did that."

That's expected.

"That's lame, Alex's not a witch. Only witches can curse people, right?" Cara asked, lifting a lion cub on her lap.

Not one of them answered, their eyes avoiding hers. I chuckled and answered her for their sake, "My parents have power, and they're quite persuasive. When the words were uttered by their lips, everyone will believe it. Even if it's far from the natural order of things."

"What are they gonna do? Put you on trial and execute you?" Her tone became sharp, eyes squinting at me to tell her just that.

"Probably," I laughed, pulling her close as she cuddled the baby lion. "Why? You'll come to rescue me, my queen?"

"No," she said, rolling her eyes. "As if they can kill you."

All of us chuckled before Rion dropped another bomb, "The elders and ESDC knew that cursed or not, impotence automatically disqualifies a royal from claiming the throne. The house and the kingdom is currently divided. The nobles want him to remain as crowned prince while the common elves and slaves are protesting for you. There's a high chance the ESDC will choose you, but when money and power is involved the outcome is unpredictable."

Insolent fools...

My stone vibrated with mocking laughter, it's tentacles reaching out for Cara's essence. The earth stone is becoming powerful and confident as the days go by. We both know that with or without the council's vote and my family's permission, we will claim the throne. It's ours, no elder or nobleman will have a say in it. My queen and I will wait for our time. Let them enjoy it for a while.