Chapter 5

"Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being.  " - Albert Schweitzer

Earth Kingdom
Chrysanthemum Estate

Cara's POV

Earth elves working for Alex took care of Alorah and Azrael. I stayed by them through the night as they were nourished and made comfortable and warm. They told me all their encounters with Maqiel's men and what happened since we parted ways. Surprisingly, Alexander stayed with us through the night. Just watching us interact, standing in one corner of the room.

"Where's Toriel, Cara? Is he caught?" Azrael asked the very question I have no answer to.

I sighed in worry, "We entered the Immortal Tree..."

Alorah gasped, "You didn't... That's dangerous!"

I grinned, "We did, and yes it's dangerous. I took the canon's impact and therefore already wounded when we crossed it. Before we can completely go out a troll smashed us with its club, I was thrown out while Toriel was swarmed by his... kin. He said he'll find me soon. All I know is that up until now he's being protected by the Swan-shifters."

Azrael nodded in determination, "We'll get him ourselves in the Immortal Tree and together we'll leave for the Demon Kingdom. My wife's the Demon King's sister, he promised us protection."

I withdrew my eyes from them and glanced furtively at Alexander. He was already staring at me and I felt relieved at his unapproving gaze.

He doesn't want me to leave yet.

However, I think Azrael's decision is quite saner than staying here. Besides, Alexander already helped me, us, enough. I can't ask for more and risk his quiet life. But then, I promised deep inside me I'll help him reclaim his throne. That's the least I can do for his kindness, and he deserves it.

"We'll talk about this in the morning, guys. I'll let you rest and sleep."

They smiled at me, hugging me again and thanked Alexander who stood as well and smiled at them. "If ever you need anything, there's a guard across the hall, in our chamber. Just tell him what you need."

We went out of their room and started walking towards his chamber. He's unusually quiet, invading my personal space, as if making sure I stay within his reach. When I entered my room, he followed.

I raised an eyebrow at him, "Is everything alright?"

"I..." He started, "I don't want you to leave."

The sincerity in his expression melted my heart. Right then I knew I have to choose, temporarily at least. "I'll accompany them to the Demon Kingdom, but I'll be back. I promised myself I'll help you get your throne back. I'm not one to go back on my word."

He smiled gently, and boy, I think I just made the best decision ever seeing that beautiful face. "I'll come with you. I promised you protection, I'm not one to go back on my word as well."

I chuckled at that, "Copycat."

"We should wait for your friends to recover fully before we start travelling. Before we rescue your other friend in the Immortal Tree." He said, comfortably sitting on my bed and leaning against the headboard.

"Hey, that's my bed." I chucked a pillow playfully at him.

"Hmm, I'm finding it more comfortable than mine." I squealed when he pulled me down beside him, effectively locking me in place using his arms and legs. "Better." He started sniffing my neck, shoulders and hair. Suddenly, I feel like the atmosphere's changing from the playfull one to a dangerous zone. I touched his arm and he stiffened.

"What's wrong, Alex?" I asked unsure.

"I was terrified when I saw you leaving. I thought you'll be gone for good, the stone fueled something in me and pushed me to find you whatever it takes. I... Now I don't want to be away from you ever again."

There was a hint of fear and uncertainty in his voice, but the most prominent is possessiveness. He stared into my eyes and his eyes glowed softly in viridian, calming both him and me. He lifted me up in his arms and carefully carried me out of my room and into his own. He gently deposited me on the bed and hovered above me.

"You don't mind sleeping here, do you?"

I blushed, "No, of course. Just peachy."

He chuckled before lowering himself to my side and engulfing me in a warm embrace. "You really smell divine."

"That's because I'm an angel. It runs in the blood."

"Let's see," he said, burrying his nose in the juncture where my neck and shoulder meet and started sniffing. "Cinnamon and strawberry. Sweet."

"Stop that, you might inhale me with that big nose of yours."

"It's not big! Yours is." He countered.

"Excuse me, your nose is big especially when you turn all armored lion. One powerful sniff and I'll end up in your trachea."

"Damn, you made being a lion sound worse."

I laughed, "Never mind, just close your eyes and sleep. And stop sniffing me again, or I'll run back to my room and leave you here." I finished with a warning when I felt him burying his nose in my neck once more.

"You wouldn't dare." He warned as well.

"Bite me," I challenged.

He just grinned and bit.

He fuckin' bit my neck.

"ALEXANDER!" I straddled the laughing jackass and pounded his chest with my fist. "You imbecille! That's an idiom, not a fuckin' order!"

He still continued laughing and I suddenly stopped. He looked really happy and not a trace of the gloomy cloud constantly over him. Before I knew it, I just found myself absentmindedly caressing his face with my knuckles. He stopped as well, held my wrist and kissed the inside of my palm.

"You should laugh more, it suits you." I voiced out as his hands held my waist and laid me back down beside him.

"Will you do the honor of making me smile and laugh? Of making me happy everyday?" He asked with a soft smile, staring straight into my eyes.

"Um, why not?" I giggled as his smile widened.

I didn't know that time that he meant for forever.