Chapter 1

"The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy, we can all sense a mysterious connection to each other. " - Meryl Streep

Earth Kingdom
Chrysanthemum Estate

Cara's POV

His kind eyes exudes worry as he cautiously stepped out of the bushes, revealing his well built frame and ethereal beauty. It was as if he was walking on thin line or trying to tame a wild beast.

Due to my current state, undoubtedly.

Like I just came from a gladiator fight all bloody, bruised and beaten. That one wrong move from him I'll attack like a feral animal... or bird. Whatever.

My mouth swearing like a sailor shut as I scanned his godly appearance. His platinum blonde hair glinted magnificently under the sun while his bright viridian eyes contrasted the pale color of his cream skin. His thin lips pulled in a gentle yet unsure smile as he knelt down just in front of me slowly.

"My estate's just a few miles away from here, but I've brought my horse. If you'll come with us we can certainly give you refuge... and heal your wounds of course."

Us? My body stiffened upon hearing that. Him finding me is bad enough, anymore people would be dangerous. He sensed me being uncomfortable so he gave me reassuring smile.

"My men. They ensure my safety, so yours in addition wouldn't be a problem." His gaze moved to where he came from, eyes glowing softly for a moment before a horse's neigh was heard and men emerged from the tree line wearing green uniforms. The stallion with them doesn't have any binds or saddle, which means he's a willing servant. That made me calm a bit. If this man respects the life and freedom of earthly beasts then I'm sure I'll be safe, at least.

I grasped his hand rather tight, which surprised him. He helped me up the steed nonetheless, wincing occasionally as if he's the one in pain every time I make small movements. His men carefully lifted my wings off the ground, their eyes bulging from the unexpected weight. I almost chuckled, but I held myself. He walked beside the horse carrying me on its back to keep me balanced as we walked towards his estate. The pain started to dull my other senses so I took that opportunity to close my eyes and let darkness consume me.

***

I woke up lying in a clinical bed and my wings accommodated as well. A woman's currently treating my wounds, applying healing salve and bandaging them. The wounds are lethal, but now they're clean and the bleeding stopped. I know there's nothing much she can do, but I did feel a lot better than my battered situation earlier. All throughout her ministrations I just stared at her, examining her appearance that is far too different to be called an earth elf. She has jet black hair, straight and silky. Her silvery pools shows wisdom and has striking similarity to the moon. A witch, but a very different one at that. Her aura's strong, but controlled.

"Will it hurt to retract your other wings?" she asked and I noticed they took up a lot of space, becoming a nuisance to her for sure.

"I would if I could," I said as a matter of fact, but not hostile. "Once the wounds closed, I'll be able to."

"Alright," she stood, "Rest. You need plenty of sleep. I'll be back tomorrow morning with healing potions to fasten your regeneration."

"What's your name?" I just felt the need to know.

"Artemis, you are..?"

"Cara. Cara D'Angelo." I smiled gratefully then, "Thank you, Artemis."

She gave me a smile, showing me how beautiful she really is. "It's nothing, I'm not the one who went all the way across the immortal river to find a healer though. He's worried shit, and I doubt he even knows you."

Ah, the green-eyed man.

I chuckled, "I am grateful that he's the one who found me. I know how to repay a debt, don't worry." I'll make sure of it.

"Goodbye, Cara." She waved before leaving the room I was in, and I sensed other powerful auras gathering outside the room. Have I acquainted myself with a bunch of royals in a short span of time? Or just influential ones?

The door opened and the green-eyed man who found me entered. He wore a relieved expression and a tired smile, making me feel a little guilty.

"How do you feel?" He asked, sitting on the chair beside my bed. His green eyes were sparkling with warmth and I felt the need to smile back.

"Better," I touched his hand placed on my bed, "All thanks to you."

To my surprise, he blushed. His hand automatically retracted as if ashamed. He nodded, clearing his throat. I felt a little hurt but I understood that I might have invaded his personal space. "Anyone would have done what I did."

"But not everyone, and I'm grateful it's you." I pulled my hand back, closing my eyes momentarily as we fell into an awkward silence.

I suddenly remembered that I'm not the only one probably in this condition. Hopefully Alorah and Azrael were safe and sound. The angels can never touch them in the elven lands, nor in the land of the forsaken ones. The demons and the vampires surround the territory of the water elves, which means they are safe there if they have reached the place. I can somehow say the same for Toriel. The swan-shifters knew he's kin, so they took responsibility of him inside the tree. All I need to do is wait for him, then we can both find Alorah and Azrael. The neutral territory would be a good place to start a new life...

Well, after I repayed the debt I owe to this kind and innocent man.

"I'm Alexander," his soothing voice made me open my eyes to look at him. The red tint was still there in his cheeks. "Alexander Erthe, but you can call me Alex."

I nodded, already expecting he'll want to know who I am as well. "My name's Cara D'Angelo."

His smile widened, "Cara... it's beautiful."

I smiled, "I know."

He shook his head in amusement, "Artemis told me you need plenty of rest. Go back to sleep, I'll be here when you need me."

I took that opportunity right away, relaxing my stiff and aching body. I'll worry about my problems tomorrow when I'm all better and replenished. For now I need to rest, make sure I get enough because I'll never know when will Chief Maqiel send his army for us.

I took one last look at Alex before closing my eyes. His eyes glowed softly and fatigue suddenly overcame my senses. His presence near me helped calm my nerves and I soon drifted off to sleep.