Happily Ever After

Bruce's POV

I watch from the building as the Joker and his henchmen start to make an escape with Blue Jay.

But that's not Blue Jay.

I look at the dart that went into her shoulder before she went off the rails. I managed to pick it up before I fled.

I watch them make their escape into the night. I can't get involved, in fear of hurting Blue Jay. My attention goes towards the bat symbol in the sky.

Thank God.

I make my way to the top of the police station and find Jim Gordon waiting for me. He sees me and his face is stricken with confusion.

"What the hell is going on!? My men are telling me that Blue Jay protected the Joker? Batman what happened?" He asks.

"I'm not sure." I take out the dart and look at it. "He shot her with this, and she just... turned."

Gordon stays quiet. "My men are going after her."

"Tell them not to shoot." I demand.

"Why? That can't be her!"

"It is!" I tell him, "this whole thing has something to do with this dart and whatever was in it."

"Well, figure it out soon. I can't hold Gotham back from Blue Jay much longer." Gordon says walking away from me.

Once I enter the bat cave, Alfred is there waiting for me.

"Sir, it's everywhere." He mumbled.

I look at what he's talking about, it's on the news. Saying she's back. How Chrissy James Wayne is a killer and should be killed. I turn off the news and take off my mask.

"This dart-" I super Alfred, "the Joker shot her with this, then she turned."

I take apart the dart and take a swab sample. Getting whatever liquid out to see what's coursing through her blood. I place it in the computer and see that it needs three hours to fully analyze the findings. I sit back in the chair by the computer and gaze off into the cave.

"Why couldn't we just live happily ever after, like in the story books?" I ask Alfred.

"Because you chose this life."

"What do you mean?"

"Think about her Master Wayne," Alfred starts, "without the death of your mother and father, you would never be Batman. And without Batman, Blue Jay would never exist either."

I nod my head and sigh. "I just hope she's alright."

"If anything sir," Alfred puts his hand on my shoulder, "she's fighting this, maybe not physical. But she knows mentally that this isn't right."