Chapter 20- The Hunt

Levi POV:

By the time I got to the border with Erwin, half of the existing troops were down. Most coudn't take down two of our soldiers, let alone thirty. This was clearly not just some rebel brigade. This was an army.

I wound through the other wolves, trying to get a better vantage point. All around me, people were fighting. Our pack was clearly stronger, but we were outnumbered. Many of our warriors weren't here yet.

Just as I was about to jump into the fight, someone howled. The opposing army immediately began retreating.

Fuck.

It was diversion.

Eren!

I ran back as fast as I could to our home, but it was too late. The window and door were broken down. Hanji lay face first on the floor. I shifted back to a human and ran to her side. She was still breathing.

I tugged the dart out of her back and sniffed it. Tranquilizers. She'd be okay. I picked her up and carried her away from the broken glass.

I was terrified. Where was Eren? Was he okay?

Hanji woke up just as I set her on the couch. She scrambled to her feet and looked around frantically.

"Hanji! What happened?!"

"I-I don't know! I was taking Eren to the safehouse and then I heard a crash. I felt a sting in my back and then I passed out." I ran to the window, barely able to keep my breath even. There was no leftover fur or anything I could use to track someone, so I returned to Hanji.

"Can you walk?" She nodded. "Assemble every fighter we have that isn't injured. We're going after them." Hanji bolted outside. I could sense her mind link opening as she shifted and ran to gather everyone.

I followed her to the town square. Most everybody was there already. Medicine workers always helped the wounded in the town square and all fighters who were either on the front lines of the attack or on their way were filing in. Everyone grew silent when I stepped forward.

"Our Luna has been captured by his former clan. If you remember what he was like when he first came here, you'll understand the severity of the situation. We have to go get him. Whatever it takes." Not a single person protested. Eren was loved by the pack. They were willing to help.

I shifted and so did they. We took off running in the direction the Marrian Warriors went. I followed the scent as closely as I physically could, running so fast I thought my legs would fall off.

Eren. Please be alright!

The trail was clearly meant to spread out and become harder to track, but I could smell the faint traces of my mate. I followed that path rather than any of the others.

They had a headstart, but I was faster than they could ever be. We reached the border of our territories and saw them setting up posts to guard the camp. I turned to my pack and reopened the link.

Levi: They're prepared for an attack. We have to be careful. Our best bet is to draw the forces away and send a small search party in. Elite members, step forward.

Erwin, Hanji, Mike, Jean, Ymir, Christa, Petra, Berthold, and Reiner came to the front of the pack.

Levi: You nine are with me. Marco, split up the pack into squads and surround the entrances and exits. Have at least one of your fastest runners in every group to lead the diversion.

Marco: Yes sir!

He got to work immediately. We had sixty fighters with us, not counting my group. Marco made ten groups of six and they all spread out as quietly as possible to get to the assigned areas.

My squad trailed behind Marco's. He was fast and I knew he could lead away an attack without even trying. He was my gateway into the city.

Eren's scent was faint but it was there. He's close. He has to be. But why would his father kidnap him? He said he never wanted to see him again.

Was it because of the babies? Did he plan to use them as leverage against me?

Did he even know they were mine? What would he do with them if he knew he could use them against me?

I shook off the thought. It wouldn't happen. I'd get Eren back. I had to.

The elite members and I took cover in a patch of trees and waited for the right time to strike.