Chapter 22

Minyoung took the stage and tapped into the microphone, it gave a screeching feedback. "Hello everyone, thank you so much for coming to our annual charity event here at the music school. The children are always so grateful for you donations and I hope you know what you're doing is going to a good cause."

The students cheered along with the donors who were present. The good thing about this event was that you were in charge of the invite list which mean those who are here are those who genuinely cares about the students and music. You even sent an invitation to the boys, but with their promotions, you doubt they would show up. The event consisted of student showcase along with some demonstrations from the students to the donors. And at the end, some brave donors will put on a show for the students. It was designed for both parties to get to know each other more.

"I would also like to thank Miss Sugarplum for working so hard to put this event together." Minyoung said and pointed her hand towards you. The students cheered and the donors applauded. Minyoung gestured for you to join her on the stage. Some students nudged you forward. The spotlights were on you, but they were less intense and you could see everyone down below.

"This school was my starting point, it was when I was at my happiest. I hope that this will continue to be a safe haven for these bright souls. When you grow to be the brilliant stars you are meant to become, I hope you don't forget who you really are." How you wished you had remembered this, how you wished you could turn back the clock and never put on that wig in the first place. Just as you were about to continue, you saw him entering the door. He remained behind the crowd, but his aura was unmatched by everyone else. Even in the shadows, he was blinding to you.

He was alone, in dress pants and a formal button up shirt. His hair was light orange. His sleeves were rolled up and it took your breath away. This was the closest you've seen him in a year. No commercial or video could compare to how beautiful he looks in real life. Your mind blanked and suddenly it felt wrong to speak about being authentic to your craft when you didn't do that with him. His eyes pinned on yours, like a dart. You couldn't make out what expression he was wearing. Your feet tumbled backward and you bumped into Minyoung. She saw that something was wrong and took the microphone.

"Thank you, Sugarplum. Well, that's enough talking. Let's get started with our first performance!" Through the applause, your eyes scanned for him again. When they found him, it took you quite aback, he had been staring at you since you go off the stage. In a split second, the crowds disappeared and the distance between you two closed. But it wasn't real. His body shook and he headed out the door he came from. At first, you started walking, but eventually, it was a sprint.

He was in the hallway, hands on his hips. He looked up at the ceiling and cursed at himself for coming today. He thought he could do it, he thought it would just be for the kids. He hated that the ulterior motive was to see you in person, he hated that he missed your voice, and he hated that he loves how the lights illuminated your smile. He thought about leaving.

"Namjoon." His heart tingled. How he missed the sound of his name coming out of your lips. No, he persisted, he would leave. "Namjoon," you called out again. "Please stay."

"Why?" he asked. He was facing the exit, he could walk out and never see you again as he had declared.

"Because you're already here. You obviously came for a reason. Please don't let me ruin your day."

He scoffed. "Too late. You've ruined my day, my week, my month and my year." he spat.

The knot in your throat tightened. The air seemed like a scarce resource that you couldn't afford at the moment. "I can't begin to imagine what you went through and I can't apologize enough."

"Then don't. I don't care anyways." he turned around and you felt the rage from his eyes. "You talked so high and mighty about how they should remain themselves. You're such a hypocrite. You couldn't even do that yourself. But why should you care, right? You're back to living your rich life without a care in the world. You flaunt your expensive clothing and fancy car and try to wash up your mistakes by doing events like these. How fake can you get?" he laughed into thin air.

You bit your lips, but the tears had already rushed out. "If that's what you think of me, fine. But don't hate the school because of me. You're right, I'm just a monster who doesn't even know who she is anymore. And I'm sorry for the pain I've caused."

"Whatever you say now is useless to me." he shrugged.

"It might be so. But I'll say this once more. My feelings for you were the most real things I've felt in years. When I started music, it was the love of my life. But then it became something ugly and then I felt nothing for it. Not love or hatred, but nothing. And that nothingness, the numbness followed me in everything else that I did. Until I got to the company, and when I met you. You showed me what it was like to love something so honestly and truly. I began to feel that way about music, and you."

He stood up a little bit taller, expression less stern than before. He said nothing and you expected that. "I won't bother you for the rest of the day, but please stay. The children missed you." you told him before turning around and going back into the auditorium. You wanted to say more as the tears dropped on the floor. Even if he wouldn't believe you or care, you wished he would at least know that you missed him too.