Place your bets

Eddy's sister, with a cam in her hand, went to various individuals and asked them: "My brother and Brett just got together, what do you think will happen next?"

-

Her first stop was a clinic. She entered the office, started recording as soon as she got there. Dr. Yang waved at the camera.

"Congratulations guys!" He greeted. "And 3000 dollars, they'll marry!" He said pointing at the camera.

Next, the Yang household. "10000 they'll break up," Yang-mama said, not even bothering to look at the camera. Engrossed with the paperwork she was checking. On the sofa of their living room.

Chen residence. Chen-mama was cooking when she asked her. "Oh, really? What took them so long?" She smiled at the camera. "7000 they'll marry." She winked.

The camera had a glimpse of Chen-papa passing by, going to the front door. She chased him and asked him the question. "What?! They did?! they'll break up! Mark my words! 5000!" He shouts while walking away.

The wielder turns the camera to herself. "Congratulations Brett, Eddy! 5000 on you guys will marry, so better get there!" She smiled. "I'm cheering for you, Brett!"

---

Brett stayed over at Eddy's. A typical thing that they do. Nothing much changed with them, except the people around them.

"Did he forced you to?" Chen-papa asked Eddy. As the family was eating breakfast with Brett.

"What, dad?" Eddy answered. Not that they want to hide their relationship or anything but he doesn't know how his dad would react if he said he's together now with his best friend.

"That thing," pointing to Eddy's hickey on his jaw with his fork, "looks forced to me." He angrily took a sausage to his mouth with that very fork. Chewed on it, gauging the pair's reaction.

Unconsciously his hand covered the said mark. Eddy shyly looked away.

Brett, on the other hand, avoided eye contact with Chen-papa and quietly sipped his coffee.

"Here, here," Chen-mama added more rice to Chen-papa's plate to ease the tension.

Awkward breakfast at it's best.

---

It was late in the afternoon when Brett got home. They shot an episode of Lingling40hrs for he didn't bring his violin. Good thing there are back-ups like that, or they'll have to read another fanfiction. No.

Yang-mama seemed to be waiting for him as he saw her on the living room sofa, seated with arms crossed, as he entered the main door.

"How's your day?" She greeted.

Brett gently closed the door behind him. "Er... Good. It's good."

"Why just good? Isn't it what you've always wanted?" An eyebrow raised.

'Jasmine?' He immediately thought. Shaked his head. 'No, no. That's another fanfic!' "Mom, I'm sorry I haven't told you earlier. I--"

"Dinner's ready. Wash your hands." Yang-mama interrupted and went straight to the dining table.

Brett followed.

There, his brother just finished setting up the table.

The dinner was silent. No one talked about someone or something. All parties knew that there is a pressing issue, but then again, no one uttered a single word about it. The dinner ended like that.

Yang-mama retired to her room, while his older brother helped Brett with the dishes. Brett was done and about to leave when he said, "Congrats bro!"

Brett turned to him. "How do you guys even know?" He sighed. "Is Mom mad?"

"She's not mad, she's pissed."

"Isn't that the same thing?" Brett held his forehead for an imaginary headache came. "God no."

The older Yang placed a hand on his brother's shoulder. "Relax. It's fine. It's not about you and Eddy though."

"What?"

"No wait, scratch that. It's indirectly about you and Eddy though."

"I don't understand." Brett's voice and face all in question.

He gestured a tiny space with his index finger and thumb. "Mom's this close to losing money."

Brett realized that "You guys had a bet about us?" He slapped his brother's hand from his shoulder. "I hate you."

The older Yang's laugh echoed through the hallway as Brett half-pissed stride his way to his room.