I want to be here

A week before.

"The bank robbery's still on the news," Eddy's sister said as she turned off the television, "it's been two days."

Eddy ran a hand through his hair, "Good thing that bastard is caught," pulled his locks, "I can't forgive him for what he did to Brett."

She sighed, stood up and gathered her bag that rested on the chair on the corner of the room, "I'll head home now, by 3 PM mom will visit with dad," she looked at his brother one last time, "stay strong, Eddy."

"Yeah, " he looked up to his sister, "I will."

And with that, she left the room.

He sighed. Rested his head on the wall behind him, Eddy turned his head to the sleeping man on the bed beside him. His hand found Brett's, he can't do a proper handhold for IV tubes hindered.

The steady beats of the heart monitor were the only sound that heard on the room. It was a sunny morning but Eddy hadn't got a wink of sleep for he wanted that when Brett wakes up, he's the first person he'll see.

Through an open awning window, the cold wind of Autumn came in, curtains danced softly along. It was quiet, far too quiet for a hospital room. With no movement, no sound, no nothing from Brett, except his steady breathing.

Eddy rested his head near Brett's shoulder and lightly ran his hand through the IV injected arm. The visible veins on his arm, he traced them. The smooth hair on his arm, he flattened them. The ring on his hand...

'What if he didn't wake up...?'

He kissed his lover's shoulder. Held back the tears, muffled his cries. Eddy wanted to look strong, stay strong for Brett, but this accident that dawned upon them constantly wear him out.

Unknowingly, as he tried to calm himself down from crying, Eddy fell asleep.

-

Eddy woke up to the sound of the TV. Squinting, his eyes adjusted to the bright light of the room. His hand that held to Brett's tightened, he's still asleep. Slowly, he lifts his head, wiped his mouth with his free hand for somewhat felt like drool.

A thick blanket slid down from his shoulder, someone had been here. He looked around. It was the afternoon already. Maybe it was Chen-mama that put the blanket on him.

"You're awake," a voice from the washroom said, as she turned off the lights and closed the door.

He looked at her, it was indeed his mom. "Yeah, I... Uh...," he rubbed his eyes, the other hand still holding on to Brett's, "where's dad?"

She sat down to the chair near the window. Then got some sliced pack bread from her bag on the nearby side table, "He just left," she handed the item to Eddy which he received, "he didn't want to wake you up."

Eddy opened the packet, ate it. He was indeed hungry, he slept through lunch.

"Go home, Eddy," Chen-mama said, "you need to rest."

He gulped down, hard. "No, mom," Eddy turned to her, "I want to be here."