Chapter 29:

As soon as that door closed, I backed away into a corner and hid. He was going to rape me. Just like Jake had done. It makes sense though. I mean, Ashton hates me, Jake, for some unknown reason hates me. So obviously they would team up.

"Gemma?" I heard Ashton ask and then I heard his footsteps coming closer and I froze when he crouched down to my level. I looked in his eyes but they held no anger. No evil. And no hatred. Not like they had done before, when I last saw them. Instead, they were filled with sorrow and sadness and regret.

“You’re still wearing them,” Ashton said as he leaned in to touch my necklaces which caused me to flinch.

"What are you doing?" I asked him. I am really confused at the moment. 

"I'm sorry," he stated.

"What?" 

"I'm sorry. For everything. I could never hate you. I was just pissed that you didn't like me but you liked someone who was classified as a bad boy and who bullied you for so many years. I didn't mean to call you what I did. I was just angry.  I've never really had someone who liked me, so I thought if I try with you, I could try and make you fall for me, but you liked Michael more. I soon figured out that we were better off than just friends. But when I came looking for you, you were missing," he said and I felt tears starting to fill up my eyes.

"How did you know I was here?" I weakly asked, trying to not let the tears fall.

"I was walking around trying to think of who would have taken you or where you would have gone, but I bumped into Jake. I only know him because I met him a party once. When I was angry and upset with you. I got speaking to him that night and I said how I hated you and that boy Michael. Obviously he remember because when we bumped into each other he started telling me how he had caught you and had beat you up and all this shit. So I played along saying I want a piece of action and he said okay. So here I am," He told me, but I panicked when he said that he wanted a piece of the action. 

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. I was never going to," he quietly said and cupped my cheek. 

"I really want to help you get out of here so I can take you back home. You don't deserve all those bruises and cuts. I want to help you, but I can't. I can't get you out of here because of him," he sneered when he said 'him' referring to Jake.

"It's alright. I guess I will have to get used to it. No one’s coming. No one cares," I whispered to him.

"Don't talk like that! Everyone has been searching for you! I haven’t actually been able to talk to any of them though because obviously everyone hates me, but I was always close by and I always saw Ricky, your dad, Calum, Luke and Michael looking every day for you. I would have went up and told them where you were if I had known you were here, but Jake only told me he was keeping you here about half an hour ago. But I promise you, as soon as I get let out. I will go straight to Michael and get him," he promised and I wrapped my arms around him in a thank you hug.

"What the fuck is going on here?" we heard Jake's angry voice boom. 

Ashton shot up and stood so he was guarding my body. 

"Protecting her. You shouldn't be doing this! Why are you even doing this?" Ashton shouted back just as loud as Jake had.

"It's payback for Michael. I took what is his because he took what was mine," he shouted. "Before he was known round our neighbourhood, I was the one everyone either looked up to or was frightened of. I loved it because it meant that I had some control over what was going on. But as soon as Michael started to get into fights and making himself known, everyone was basically laughing at me. I challenged Michael to fight me, but when we did, he beat me. I lost everything that day. My pride. This girl I actually cared for. And my parents started hating me as well. I always wanted to get Michael back for it but he never had anything to take until you came along as his girlfriend."