Chapter 6

A bow in one hand and the other was gripping an arrow. Sweat dripped from his forehead and he was breathing heavily with his eye on the red target. On a dry summer day, the sun was beaming down on him with no clouds in sight like he was in the middle of a desert.

The crowd behind him were holding their breaths and staring at his strong stature as he held his stance. Many wanted him to fail, so he can feel embarrassed and cower like a child who disappointed their parents. Others, who would die serving him, waited patiently for his performance believing he would succeed.

He closed one eye and left his other open, still staring at his target. He took one last deep breath before he let go of the arrow when someone said, "Boringggg~"

He smirked in amusement at the sudden interruption, pulled the arrow backwards and released it from his hand. Life has always dragged him backwards with many difficulties from his childhood, but releasing the arrow made him feel like he was letting go of those problems and it was launching him into something great.

As expected, the King successfully struck his target with a clean hit. He turned around to see the people of the palace cheering and clapping at his performance, even those who wanted him to fail had to force themselves to look happy.

Taehyung took Jungkook's bow from his hand and placed it on a small table beside him. He glanced at his royal guard who had red eyes with bags underneath them. The King held his hand over his mouth to hide his smile because he knew his friend was very hungover. When they left the city late last night, Jungkook had to carry Taehyung to the palace because he was too drunk to take care of himself. All morning, the royal guard begged for the King's forgiveness and of course, Jungkook teased him a lot, but nevertheless forgave him.

Then he remembered the woman, who he despises more than anything in this world, trying to break his focus during his target practice earlier. He peeked his head towards the Park family who has served his lineage for generations. Vice-Premier Park Seo-joon's daughter, Rosé, who he has known since childhood, loved to get under his skin. Both were staring at one another with intense gazes and it felt like they could set each other on fire.

"Great work today, King Jeon." A voice broke his gaze away from the girl and turned to see her father giving him a friendly smile. Seo-joon placed his hands on his daughters shoulders, "Also, I apologize for her rudeness."

His son, Jimin, snorted and gave his sister a sly smile, "Just tell the King you have the hots for him already."

Rosé's eyes looked like they were going to bulge out of her socket as she stuck her tongue out with a disgusted look, "As if!"

Jungkook sighed in annoyance and wanted to escape this place quickly. The Park family have served his family for a long time, but he did not get along with any of them. Rosé always bothered him with her snarky comments and Jimin was too snobby for his liking. Seo-joon, well, that's another person he despised. His children always spoke to Jungkook like he was not the King of Korea and no one said anything because everyone assumes they are all friends.

"I do not have time for this," Rosé shrieked dramatically while getting up from her seat and leaving the scene, "Chanyeol, let's go!" Her personal bodyguard shamefully bowed at everyone to apologize for her rude behavior.

Taehyung leaned into Jungkook's ear and whispered while watching the two walk away, "Boy do I feel sorry for him."

Jimin stood up and stretched his arms wide whiling yawning, "Well, my time here is done. See you, Princey." He winked and smiled while waving goodbye and leaving with his own guards and servants.

Jungkook sighed in relief because the two he hated the most were out of his sight. He felt his heart slow down and his anxiety and nerves drop significantly, making him feel more at ease.