Chapter 4

Chapter 4: one weird morning

I've never really had a good breakfast with anyone. When people ask me if I'd like to have breakfast with them, I would usually say "no thank you, I prefer brunch".

 That same excuse has been going on ever since my freshman year. I would call this year "the devil freshman guy" because that's when my mental health introduced me to anxiety and its attacks. "Diagnosed" with anxiety disorder is a weak word, I would rather use the term "hit" or "beaten".

Today is different. I really felt hungry so the "no thank you, I prefer brunch" didn't work today.

Sitting in front of each other and eating our meals was really awkward, I'd say. He was checking his phone while eating whereas I was looking down at my fat thighs and being self-conscious about my body.

Everyone says that I've got a good body, but the only way I see myself is a "fat pig".

"Look at this, shall I buy it?" he handed me his phone. "Which one do you think looks pretty?"

It was actually a bunch of necklaces he was checking on Amazon.

Ethan asked me to choose between four necklaces. The first one is a simple gold rose, the second one is half a heart and a key, the third one is a very fancy necklace on which is written "Life", and the fourth one holds the name "Faith".

WAIT, IT HAS MY NAME ON IT!

Is that why he made me choose between four necklaces? Is he really expecting me to tell him to buy the "Faith" one? What a loser.

"I think the gold rose is really cute. Well, it's a little bit girly so don't mind my choice", I said, moving my bowl of cereal away.

"That's the point!" he opened his arms as he said so.

"What do you mean?!" I asked back with confusion.

If he wants to buy it to me, I'm really going to jump off a cliff. He doesn't even know me!

"I want to buy it to my girlfriend"

Why.am.I.even.surprised.

"Her birthday's coming in a few weeks and necklaces are her obsession. So I thought, why not buying her a cute one?"

Did someone just push my mute button?

"What's wrong? Do you think it's a bad gift? Well maybe I could choose something el-" he said while swiping up on his phone to search for other cute birthday gifts.

"Y-your gir-girlfriend?" I stuttered as I interrupted him.

"Oh, yes... what's wrong with being in a relationship though?" he moved his gaze to me.

"Nothing" is the only word I managed to get out of my mouth.

I was surprised for two reasons. First, how can someone be that happy and chill while being in a relationship? I never knew what joy in a relationship means so I can't relate. Secondly, the only time someone treats me with kindness turns out to be the time he's taken.

-11 on a scale from 1 to 10. That's how lucky I am.

"So, hm, thank you for the breakfast. Everything was so weird but thanks anyway...uh, whatever...I need to go. My parents must be waiting for me. Nice to meet you, Ethan right?" I lied.

My parents are on holidays but it would be the same if they were at home. They don't even say "hi" to me...

"Nice to meet you too, Faith. If you need anything, just come here again" he softly said and shook my hand. "You know what, give me that phone".

I just unlocked my phone and gave it to him, I don't care anymore. Let him do whatever he wants to. This guy seems smart, that's strange."So, here's my number. If you need anything, text me. I might be able to help"

DID HE REALLY JUST GIVE ME HIS PHONE NUMBER?

"Okay, thank you. And happy early birthday to your girlfriend" was the only sentence I said before leaving out.

As I walked out of the door, I heard him asking me if I needed a ride home. Huh, I turned a deaf ear and kept walking.

Something feels off. No one has ever treated me right.

My friends? Which friends?

Strangers? They're not supposed to.

My parents? Well, this is just a long story. My biological father left my mother when I was ten months old; he was on drugs. So my mom remarried a man called Jackson when I turned two years old. Since then, I started to call him "dad" just to feel less left out. I thought that my stepfather is going to be a gentleman but it turned out that he's just like my father and my mom, careless.

My life has been an absolute hell ever since I was born.

Once I got home, I wanted to open the front door but I remembered that the keys aren't with me. I mean it's not my fault, I wasn't supposed to come back though.

My only option is to get in through the window. Gosh, it just feels like a teenager who managed to sneak out of the house, and is getting back at midnight through the backyard window.

I made my way to my bedroom, took my personal journal and played "How to save a life" by The Fray on my phone.

"So, today that one guy called Ethan who is around twenty years old was really weird and he also gave me his phone number-"

Wait...I want to delete his number. I don't need it. I don't need anybody.

And that's when my thumb felt numb. I couldn't press the "delete" button.

It felt hard for some reason.