21 - Deep Oasis

Authors Note: Thank you all so so much - your support over the last 20 chapters has been incredible, especially the last one!! Changing POV's made me so nervous but it truly felt good once it was done!  We're heading into some exciting chapters - a little more kink involved so please remember that this is a mature content 18+ audience only.  You've been warned, and specific chapters will have additional warnings.  I will try to keep them so you can skip those chapters if it's not your thing.

ARDENS POV

Still in Flashback

"Have you heard anything son?" He asked, lifting his oxygen mask to speak.

"Papa, leave that on, you old fool, have you not heard a thing Dr Murphy has told you?" I scolded, having spent the last week watching him deteriorate in front of my eyes, trying to change the subject at the same time. It's a whole fucking week, and I haven't heard a thing from Emerson. I can't believe I was such a fool, I thought she felt the same as me but clearly, I was wrong otherwise she'd have called. Text even. What's so hard about that?

"And I don't want to talk about Papa, but if you must know then No, I haven't heard from her. I don't think I am going to at this point." I sigh, there's no point in trying to hide how I feel, Papa has always had a keen eye for these sorts of things.

"Son, do you love her?" his voice is so weak and raspy, likely from the coughing and all the meds they're pumping him with.

"What does it matter? She's made her choice" I growled back, not meaning to take it out on him.

"You know one of the things I've learnt over my years being with your mother, son. It's that a lass will change her mind, she will change it time and time again"

"What has that got to do with anything Papa?" I asked.

"Well the thing is, she can change her mind as often as she wants, but she can't change what's in her heart. Your pretty lass sounds special lad, don't let your anger get the best of you just yet" he finished as a coughing started, so I grabbed him a pitcher of water and poured a glass. It hardly helps with the cough itself since that is his lungs, but he still says it helps to sooth his throat.

I ponder his advice, finding it intriguing and yet surprisingly it makes sense, which did calm my temper slightly. I just fucking miss her, and want to hold her in my arms. The night Daniel had called to get updated on the situation, he advised me that she'd been in the bar, he said she'd looked devastated when she's learned we'd left town. I get that, I bloody get that, but if she'd just answer a call or text than she will know it killed me to leave without her, and I had every intention of flying her out here with me.

"Look Papa, you might have a point, but it doesn't change anything does it. She's not here, I'm not there, and that's that. Look I got some calls to make for the bar, Ash will be in soon, you okay if I take off?'"

We've taken to having shifts with him, make sure he's not overwhelmed, and gets plenty of rest but still isn't on his own too much. The pneumonia is pretty settled into his chest, so he's not made any improvements, rather he looks worse for wear.

"Don't work too hard son" he smiled up at me, tapping my arm, "oh and Arden?"

"Yea Papa?"

"Don't give up on her just yet" told you this old bastard knew it all. I smiled and nodded, before heading on my way.

-----

A couple of days later

"Can I get another round of Guinness thanks?" I asked, looking around the now parked bar, our local if you would call it that. Tell you what, this is where I drank my first beer, took my first shot and got into my first bar fight. Ah, yes, it's good to be home.