Chapter Six

The following morning the house was once again a place of solitude, and I couldn't wait to get out of it. I rushed around getting ready before slipping on a pair of skinny jeans, t-shirt and hoodie, throwing my wet hair up into a messy bun.

My cell began to shrill from the other side of the room, I raced across the room grateful for some human contact. Kevin's name flashed up on the screen, at first I felt reluctant to answer but my conscience and a need for interaction gave me the push I needed to answer.

"Hello."

"Oh, um, hi." He flustered, obviously a little surprised I'd answered. "I'm just, I mean, I'm calling because, look-"

"Kev, what's wrong?" I said a little harshly, he let out a big sigh.

"I just wanted to apologise for leaving you last night, I wasn't in a good frame of mind but it's no excuse."

"It's okay." I told him flatly.

"It's not, I'm really sorry, let me make it up to you babe, I hate when you're mad at me. Can I give you a ride to school?"

"You're not going to leave me in the middle of nowhere again?" I joked, he gave a huff of frustration. "Okay, fine."

"Okay great, I'll see you soon." He said in a happier tone before hanging up.

I knew it could be seen as a personal flaw to forgive someone so easily but high school is full of enough drama without adding my own to the mix.

I finished getting ready before grabbing a breakfast bar and waiting on the porch. Kevin pulled up minutes later honking his horn to announce his arrival, I waved and headed for the truck.

"Morning." He smiled as I climbed into truck.

"Hey." I smiled back and he leaned over to place a kiss on my lips.

"I am sorry." I just shrugged my shoulders.

"It's fine, don't worry." He seemed pleased with my response and pulled away.

"So how was it?"

"It wasn't the right house." I said a little sadly, the only glimmer of hope I'd had so far had been extinguished.

"Now I feel even more of a jerk." He hit his steering wheel dramatically. He really knew how to throw a pity party.

"It wasn't that bad, in fact I was kind of lucky it was that door I knocked on and not some psycho's."

"Why's that?" He turned his head slightly with intrigue.

"It was Seth Anderson's house." He looked slightly surprised before giving a false laugh.

"I thought you said it wasn't a psycho's house." I bit my tongue not wanting to point out that at least he hadn't left me abandoned.

"At least he was kind enough to give me a lift home. What's your problem with him? I'm sure a few years ago you were friends." I asked, I recalled a time when I'd Kevin and Seth walking the halls together laughing and joking, then around the time Kevin made the football team their friendship seemed to end. Now they'd never fail to throw each other death stares or snipe at each other.

"The guy is just an asshole Frankie, he's so jealous of me, of my family's success, it's kind of sad really. And I don't like the idea of you two spending time with each other, so maybe next time just call an uber." He reached over and gave my leg a pat, I simply responded with silence, this car journey hadn't been such a great idea, I was in a worse mood now.

We pulled into the school parking lot and Kevin turned off the engine before facing me.

"I know a drive into school isn't much of an apology so I'm taking you out tonight." He beamed at me.