Chapter 38: The Prey

– Do you think my hair is beautiful? – Olympia asked Oona anxiously.

– Of course it is, you used a device that I created! – She answered.

Kate, Selena, George and Oliver that same day had announced a squad party to celebrate the coming of the members of the Mad Squad for the Odd Squad. They thought it would be a good idea and a great welcome. Oksana was in the kitchen all day, with Maryon, without rest: they were both preparing all the feed of the party: from drinks to food.

The girls were all in a giant room, getting ready. With mirrors everywhere, wardrobes and makeup. Oliver always thought parties were superficial, because people dressed extravagantly to impress each other or for someone to call them to dance. Olympia thought differently: It was a great way to have fun and make new friends, even if you had to over-prepare for it.

Kate was trying on new dresses, was uncertain which dress to wear. But a long white was catching her eye. Olympia was just finishing to comb her hair, already dressed in a red and white plaid shirt, and a beautiful yellow skirt.

– Does anyone out there know if there are red dresses here? – Ohany asked – I found a golden belt that would match a lot!

– Oh, over there in the corner, – Selena pointed to a dress-up hanger, where there was a beautiful red short-sleeved dress. – What do you think about that dress? – She showed off her long, sophisticated black dress.

– It's beautiful, Selena! – Oona exclaimed.

– I don't think so, ew, something green would fit you much better. – Ohany said, without much concern what they would think of his answer.

– Um ... okay, – Selena said, a little discouraged. And then she took a green gown and went into the changing room.

– Girls, who are you going to ask for a dance? – Asked Olympia. – Or who do you think will ask to dance with you?

– Oh, I don't know... but Orion wouldn't be a bad option, – Ohany said. – But I don't plan on having anything with him.

– Ohany, you're too good for this world! – Olympia laughed. – Remember you're not forced to dance with anyone.

– I want Mason! – Selena shouted, still wearing her green dress.

Oona laughed. And then looked at Kate.

– I need to look awesome, I don't know what they'll think of me – said Otis, inside the room where the boys were dressing.

– Look, man, don't worry, a lot of people will call you to dance, – Mason replied.

–  Actually, I already thought about who I'm going to ask for a dance, really...

– Who?

– Ah... no one really surprising.

– Otis, you never tell us anything – Orion was curious – Why so many secrets?

– I'm not required to tell you everything, – Otis snorted. – Now, let's stop talking about me. You, Orion, who do you want to dance with?

– Oh, any pretty girl. – - He replied. – They must be wonderful in dance and moves, if you know what I mean.

–Thank Oliver's not here, – Otis said as he put on his belt, – he would make you regret judging someone by appearances.

– He looks like a militant spoiled boy, – said Olly, a boy who had always belonged to the Odd Squad.

– Where is he? – Asked John.

– Outside, selecting the songs. – Otis seemed indifferent – He already dressed, as soon as he could. Also, he considers this kind of partying very superficial.