#72 - The Ex

⎯⎯⎯ ⎯⎯⎯ ⎯⎯⎯ ⎯⎯⎯ ⎯⎯

I'm a beautiful wreck, a colourful mess, but I'm funny.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ♡ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

As I continue to chatter with Liz about the various amount of things going on in our lives, Hayes' hand sneaks onto my thigh and gives it a gentle squeeze. I ignore it for the moment as I'm intrigued in the conversation between me and his mother.

Only a few seconds later, I hear the sound of Hayes choking loudly on his water, making my head snap towards him along with the rest of the family. I rub his back harshly and Hayes pushes my hand away once he has finished coughing up his guts, eyes clearly trained on something or someone.

"Hayes, are you okay?" I ask trying to follow where his focused eyes are. He shakes his head as my eyes fixate on a brunette girl at the entrance of the restaurant.

"Emma is here." My eyes widen and I soon feel insecure, now seeing how gorgeous she actually was. Even though Hayes has explained how rough his relationship with her was, I still had a slight pang of jealousy growing in my stomach.

She soon arrives at the table and sends a large grin towards the whole family. Skylynn and Hayes seem to have some fake smiles on their faces, but Liz just looks at her in pure disgust.

"Hi Hayes, long time no see right?" Her shrill voice practically deafens me as her hand runs up his arm and stays stationary on his shoulder. I shouldn't have let him sit on the outside of the booth.

"Um, yeah. I guess." He's nervous and he sends a small glance towards me before looking back up at her. Her hand travels down her chest and lingers there for a couple of seconds.

"You're looking good, we need to catch up soon!" She sends a small wink at him before walking off to an empty booth with her friends. Hayes looks back at me and meets my annoyed expression.

For the rest of the meal, I was tense and anti-social. I often kept out of the conversation and focused on swirling my straw round in the vanilla shake in front of me. No matter how many times Hayes whispered in my ear about how beautiful I looked, I shrugged it off and stayed silent, just thinking about what Emma meant by 'catching up'.

As soon as Liz, Skylynn, and Hayes' stepdad slid out the booth and exchanged their goodbyes, I quickly slid out too and Hayes already knew what I was about to do. 

"Babe stop." Hayes calls, following me out of the booth as I storm towards Emma's table.

I pull down my short red dress and adjust the small black purse that is attached to a long chain which sits on my shoulder. 

"Excuse me?" I clear my throat and grab all four girls' attention. "I just want to say-"

"Babe-" Hayes cuts me off, his hand snaking around my waist, however, I am quick to cut him off.

"Keep your fucking dirty skanky hands off my boyfriend, because he left you for a reason hun," she starts to speak up, but I lean my elbows on the table and bend forward, face centimetres apart from hers, "Lay your fucking eyes on him again and I will break every single one of your limbs and drag them to your front porch. Alright?" 

She doesn't reply but her dropped jaw gives me the answer. Smiling and dusting off my hands, I stand back up properly and take a look at Hayes' equally as shocked face. I stare back into her eyes and send a fake sarcastic smile. 

"Now that's all cleared up, I think I'm going to go home with MY boyfriend and run my hands all over him." I grab Hayes' hand and lead him to the familiar car in the parking lot.

I place my hand on the door handle and wait for the sound of Hayes unlocking it. Scrambling my way in, throwing my purse on the back seat, and clipping on my seatbelt, I let out a loud huff.

"Babe that was so hot." Hayes chuckles as he clips on his seatbelt and starts up the car. I giggle with him and push my silky hair out of my face.

"I wasn't kidding about running my hands all over you when we get back."

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ♡ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

hey hey hey

if you liked this part, vote! comment, too.

qotc: most exciting thing to happen this summer (so far i guess)

answer: i went to my aunt's wedding. it was my first wedding as a bridesmaid, so that was fun :)