Chapter 5

"No! Stop it!" Otterheart growled. Willowkit looked up at Otterheart. "I'm still a kit! What do you except from me?"

"Loyalty." replies Otterheart. "Might as well get started now then later!" Willowkit was so mad. She had to sleep in the medicine den and help Otterheart with other cats.

"Why can't I sleep in the nursery?" asked Willowkit.

"You are my apprentice, you will start early. But you still can't leave camp." Otterheart glanced down at Willowkit. "Icestar is going to the moonstone, will you help me get traveling herbs?" asked Otterheart.

"Fine," Willowkit helped Otterheart get herbs. Icestar padded into the den and thanked them both.

Willowkit had an idea. She could go to the moonstone! She could go then she could prove that she doesn't have to be medicine cat.

Later that night Willowkit slowly paced her way out of camp. She crossed the river.

Suddenly a cat was in front of her. He was a big cat.

"You smell!" she growled at him. The tom looked surprised when he saw Willowkit.

"How dare you?" he hissed. "I'm Rainstar, leader of SunClan." Willowkit was grasped by Rainstar.

He carried her across the river. "Let me go!" she growled.

"If you say so," Rainstar dropped Willowkit into the water. She gasped for air.

Willowkit struggled to keep her muzzle above the water. She paddled hard. Rainstar chuckled and picked Willowkit up and tossed her on her side of the territory.

"Don't ever think about coming on SunClan's territory again!" Rainstar climbed out of the water and shook his pelt. He padded right back into the forest.

Willowkit walked back to camp. She leaped back in her nest. Wet and cold, she went back to sleep.

"All cats old enough to swim gather to hear my words." Icestar yowled across camp.

"Willowkit will have a name change today," He began. "Willowkit from this day forward you will be known as Crookedkit. You are just like Crookedstar brave and loyal. He did was was best for his clan. And you might just do the same."

Everyone started to call Willowkit's new name. "Crookedkit! Crookedkit! Crookedkit!" Redleaf didn't say her name. She heard her mutter to herself.

"I'm glad shes Crookedkit. Not a pleasant name." Redleaf growled softly. "Bramblekit will always be better," Redleaf padded away.

The following morning, Crookedkit woken up early, she had gotten good rest. She wanted to try to make it to the moonstone again. And, Sootdust moved to the nursery.

She was expecting kits. Her mate, Twistedjaw would be very happy to see his newborns.

Crookedkit then decided to not go to the moonstone. She knew StarClan would be angry with her to come while she was still a kit.

It was only a few days later, it was Bramblekit's last day in the nursery.

Crookedkit padded over to the nursery greeting Bramblekit. "Thanks Willow- I mean Crookedkit."

Bramblekit nuzzled Crookedkit's broken jaw. "I'm sorry I did this to you," he whispered slightly.

Crookedkit felt tears rolling down her cheek. "I'm sorry, you could still be Willowkit."

That struck Crookedkit like thunder. "I-I have to go..."

Bramblekit was about to lick her blood, but she ducked away and darted out of the den.

Crookedkit reached the medicine den. She slid into her nest. Otterheart slowly padded in.

"Are you ok?" she asked. Crookedkit didn't reply. She looked up from her nest, then looked back at her paws.

Otterheart sat down beside her. "I know its hard, but you have to understand."

Crookedkit began to speak. "Understand what? That I can't become a warrior? That my own mother betrayed me? And that I had to change my name?" Crookedkit was filled with rage.

Otterheart tried to calm her down. "Its okay, please stop i'm trying to help you." Crookedkit saw a glimmer in Otterheart's eyes.

"Are you keeping a secret?" asked Crookedkit.

"What? Secret? No, no, thats impossible, no secrets here." Otterheart said.

"Are you lying to me?" Crookedkit stood up.

"No...." Otterheart looked down at her paws. "Okay maybe."

Crookedkit then stared at the medicine cat. "What secret? Tell me."

Otterheart took a deep breath. "Okay, Icestar wanted me to have an apprentice, so he made you think that you could never be warrior. But you still could become one."

Crookedkit looked at Otterheart in surprise. "I can still become warrior?"