Chapter 6

"All cats old enough to swim, may come gather to hear my words." Icestar yowled.

Bramblekit rushed out of the nursery. Crookedkit had just woke up yawning.

"Bramblekit, please step forward." Bramblekit came forward.

"Will you train hard each and every day to become a warrior?" asked Icestar.

"I do," replied Bramblekit.

"Then until you get your warrior name, you shall be known as Bramblepaw."

"And, Thorntail please step forward. Thorntail please pass all your knowledge toward this new apprentice."

Thorntail pressed his nose to Bramblepaw's. Bramblepaw touched back.

"Bramblepaw! Bramblepaw! Bramblepaw!" the clan cheered.

Crookedkit started to cheer the loudest. Redleaf cheered too.

Thorntail looked down at Bramblepaw. "Ok, do you want to have a tour of our territory?" asked Thorntail.

"Do I? Of course!" mewed Bramblepaw.

Crookedkit didn't even feel jealous. She was happy for him. But I could be Willowpaw if Bramblepaw didn't push me into the water!

Crookedkit shook away the thought. She just was happy for him.

The next time she saw Bramblepaw was when the sun was setting. He was busy all day long.

Crookedkit had just padded into the medicine den. Otterheart looked at Crookedkit.

"You don't have to be medicine cat if you don't want to," Otterheart said. Crookedkit stared at her.

"You can return to the nursery." Crookedkit jumped up and dashed toward the nursery.

Leopardkit sleepily looked up. "Its Willow- I mean Crookedkit!" Leopardkit ran to Crookedkit.

"You are back in the nursery!" Leopardkit greeted her by nose touching. Reedkit looked up too.

"Crookedkit!" he jumped up too. "We were so bored without you!" he mewled.

Crookedkit was just happy to be back. "But the most important thing is that i'm with you guys." Crookedkit played with them until it was moonhigh.

The days went quicker when Crookedkit was in the nursery.

Sootdust did her kitting awhile ago. Her kits were Riverkit and Swiftkit. Both she-cats.

But Reedkit was going to become apprentice soon, he was 5 moons. But Leopardkit, 4 moons.

Even though Crookedkit was seven moons she was happy. Riverkit was so playful. She cheered Crookedkit up when she was sad that she wasn't apprentice.

But times were tough. It was leaf-bare.

"Bramblepaw has greencough." Otterheart said sadly. Crookedkit gasped. "Even Swiftkit, and Firepaw?" asked Icestar.

"Yes," she replied. "We need apprentices, fast." Icestar looked at Crookedkit. She was bigger than every kit.

Icestar sighed. Crookedkit's eyes glimmered.

"You will become apprentice in a moon. When Reedkit becomes one." Crookedkit was sad.

"Shouldn't I become one now?" asked Crookedkit. "Not now, and....Um er... Ratpaw!" Icestar called.

"Ratpaw went on patrol," Twistedjaw said.

"Then umm...." Icestar looked down. "Okay, just this once, Crookedkit you can help Otterheart find catnip. You need to learn the territory better."

Crookedkit jumped up with excitement. "Crookedkit, just remember, don't go running off, okay?" asked Otterheart.

Crookedkit nodded. "Well then, lets go."

Crookedkit pounded her paws through the snow. She sniffed at some berries. "These look tasty." she mewed. Otterheart glanced at Crookedkit.

"Oh, don't eat those. They are deathberries. Wait? Deathberries!!!"

Crookedkit ate one. She swallowed. "I'm fine. Its oka-"

Crookedkit feel to the floor choking. Otterheart looked at Crookedkit. "Help!!!" she yowled. She started to run toward camp yowling loudly.