Chapter 26

Shrewleap started to climb a steep slope. Crookedtooth followed. Dirt crumbled down.
"Are you sure this is safe?" asked Crookedtooth.
"Of course it is, I think." Shrewleap muttered the last part.

Crookedtooth nervously looked down. If she fell, she would die in a slow, painful death. Shrewleap kicked a small rock. It rolled off the cliff, Crookedtooth watched it as it went straight down. It went out of sight as she gulped down hard not trying to think about it.

***

"Do you have any plans for the future?" asked Shrewleap. It was nearly sundown and the two adventuring cats were settling down in a small shelter.
"Well, I don't have much plans. After I figure out who my father is i'm set. I probably want to have kits." she said.
"Well, me too. I was thinking about mating with Leafberry. She is a beautiful talented young she-cat with incredibly sharp claws. But, she has been taken a shine from Jayfoot."

Crookedtooth sighed, and looked up at the darkened sky. "Who do you want to be your mate?" asked Shrewleap. Crookedtooth blushed and glanced at her paws. "I like Reedpaw. He is probably a warrior now. Everyone is worrying about me right now. Especially Bramblefur."

Shrewleap nodded. "I didn't even tell my clan. I just went with you. Stonepelt is really crying, I think. She lost Shystep and now she lost me too."

Crookedtooth gazed up at the stars. "Do you think Mousestar is watching me?" she asked.

"I bet he is. My grandfather Cloudfoot is in StarClan. He died from greencough."

"Bramblefur had greencough. So had Swiftpaw. He almost died." Crookedtooth whispered.
"Memories are the most precious thing isn't it?" asked Shrewleap.

Crookedtooth nodded and remembered all the good times and bad times. Then what shot her was remembering Leopardpaw. It was her fault shes gone. Flameheart is still mourning all because of Crookedtooth!

"Are you okay?" asked Shrewleap. Crookedtooth opened her eyes and clenched her teeth. "I'm fine." she said.

"You look....tense." Shrewleap meowed. He licked a paw and drew it over his ear.
"The past half moon with you, was great." Crookedtooth meowed.

"It was?"

"Precious, like memories. The mountain lion, racing...everything."

"It sure was fun."

"Yeah, it was great fun."

Crookedtooth laid her head on the ground. "You tired?" asked Shrewleap. He yawned and stretched.

"Yep, the sun is down and StarClan is watching us. I'm ready to sleep."

Shrewleap nodded, yawned once more and went into a deep slumber. Crookedtooth opened her eyes.
She got closer to Shrewleap, then went back to sleep.

***

Morning came, and the sun was lifting slowly above the horizon. Crookedtooth opened her eyes and got up. She was rested. Now they were close to getting to the Tribe Of Rushing Water.

"Shrewleap wake up! Lets go." She nudged him. She howled in his ear. "WAKE UP!"

Shrewleap jumped and clung onto the rocky ground. "I'm up!" he said. "Good, because we are going, now!"
Shrewleap grunted and dashed down the hill.

After awhile, they reached a stream and began to drink. "Its very cold and refreshing." admitted Shrewleap.
"Well it is mountain water." mewed Crookedtooth.

She got up and she felt as if they were being watched. She scanned the area carefully and saw nothing. She shrugged and padded on. While Crookedtooth had turned her back a swoosh noise happened and then a gurgling sound.

She spun around and a strange cat was digging his claws into Shrewleap's shoulder. They were in the water. The tom was drowning Shrewleap.

Crookedtooth's eyes were wide with terror. She leapt at the tom slashing at his left eye. The tom yowled and sliced Crookedtooth's flank.
She winced and slammed her body into his. She hurt herself as the tom got up. He showed his extremely sharp teeth and bit down hard into her right shoulder.
"Help me Terra Paws!" he said. A young pale she-cat emerged from the nearby rocks and dragged Shrewleap out of the water.
"What do we do with them?" she asked anxiously.
"Terra Paws, I don't know. We never had to dealt with other cats before." He said.
Terra Paws licked a dark brown paw then put it into the water.
"Well you better decide now, Bear Claw." she growled. Bear Claw snarled.
"I don't know okay? You tell me what to do then I will do it."
Bear Claw jumped on a rock and stared at Crookedtooth. He narrowed his eyes and leaped at her. Claws slashed and blood covered everything.