Chapter 32

Crookedtooth stared at the setting sun Jaggedrock. "Thanks for coming out with me." she mewed. Jaggedrock smiled and rest his tail tip on her shoulder.

"I think, I like you." Jaggedrock forced out. Crookedtooth blushed and looked away.

Jaggedrock touched his nose to Crookedtooth's. "Crookedtooth you're a beautiful she-cat. And I think that umm, I-"

"I'd like that." she mewed. Jaggedrock started padding away. "I think we should go back to camp."

"Good idea." The two cats darted side by side to get back to camp.

***

"Bearstar!" Jaggedrock called. Bearstar looked over from the Sunstone and leapt down beside the tom. "Jaggedrock, Willowpaw Stickfoot and Sedgestripe went hunting."

"I'll take a border patrol with Crookedtooth Longpaw and Flightwing." Jaggedrock offered.

"Good idea Jaggedrock. Go on a patrol. You could bring a rabbit or two back."

Jaggedrock nodded. "Crookedtooth go fetch Flightwing and Longpaw."

Crookedtooth trotted over to the apprentice den. It was half built and Longpaw was weaving some long grass into the roof. "Oh hey Crookedtooth! I'm just trying to finish this up!"

"Longpaw, we are going on a patrol. Flightwing is coming with us."

"Ok," he replied. He followed Crookedtooth to Flightwing. Crookedtooth had explained that they were going on a patrol.

***

"Flightwing, do you scent something?" Crookedtooth asked. Flightwing tasted the air. "I think I do. I smell a faint scent of a tom and she-cat walking along here."

Suddenly two black cats leapt and pinned Longpaw and Flightwing. "Night!?"

Crookedtooth gasped. "Darksky!"

Darksky glared at Crookedtooth with her yellow eyes. "I'm not trying to hurt you. There is evil coming. Believe me Crookedtooth."

Jaggedrock hissed. "Why should we believe you?! You are evil!"

Darksky's glare started fading. "There is a cat who almost destroyed us all. His name is Nightsky. That cat forced me and Night to do bad deeds for him. He is coming, and no one will stop him from killing everyone in his path."

Crookedtooth closed her eyes. "Darksky," she began. She took a deep breath and went on, "I want to help you."