Mom

Heyyy I'm back!!
Hope yall enjoy this chapter!
With each chapter, we are getting closer to the mileven reunion!!!
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments I love reading them!
Ok bye enjoy xxx

The car shakes as Joyce back the car out of our driveway. I look around and take in the beautiful scenery.

Some areas of Illinois remind me of when I lived in Hop's cabin in the woods, those memories make me sad as well as happy at the same time.

Joyce still drives her 1976 Ford Pinto which she has just gotten restored.

"So..", Joyce starts turning down the 80s hits in the background. " Besides Brady, how's school".

"It's actually going pretty well", I reply. "I feel that I'm improving and learning so much."

"That's great", Joyce says, looking away from the road to smile at me.

"Other than that, have you made any friends in school yet", she asks in a cautious tone, and I hold my breath.

"Mmm...", I start looking down and playing with my hands. "Not really no."

I haven't noticed that yet since I've always been with Will and saw no reason to try and interact with other people.

She looks back at me, her smile quickly fading and replaced with a more concerned face.

"I just-", I start swallowing the pressure that is building in my throat. "I almost feel like I'm betraying my friends back home by trying to, I don't know....replace them." My eyes start to water, and my bottom lip starts shaking.

"Oh sweetie", Joyce says, taking one hand off the wheel and placing in on my arm to comfort me. I look up at her, knowing that she can see the build-up of tears in my eyes.
"I totally understand why you feel that way. They can never be replaced, and they want you to be happy and open to meet new people."

I look as she continues to steer the car with her left hand, looking at the road with her right hand gently holding my arm, which helps calm me down.

"You see the difference between your friends and other people that you will meet in your life..", she starts with certainty in her voice.

"Is that your friends are your family, and no matter what, they always will be."

"Ok?", she asks softly.

I nod."Yes, thank you."

She gave my arm a final squeeze and placed her hand back on the wheel to turn onto the next street.

There are a few moments of silence as she continues to drive. However, they aren't awkward; they are peaceful.

She's right; my friends are my family. I mean, Mike is the first person who ever cared for me, and the first person to ever truly love me. The boys have always protected me even when it meant that they were putting themselves in danger. Max taught me so many things about being a normal teenage girl and helped me become my own person.
They will always be my family. However, I need to be more open. Open to meeting new people, open to embrace my new life.

"Ok", Joyce said, breaking the silence as if she could sense that I was done reflecting.

I look at her; her eyes still on the road as she speaks. "We are almost there."

"Can I now know what the surprise is", I ask carefully making her laugh.

"Well...., obviously in two days is thanksgiving, she smirks looking at me.