22

"Will you be my boyfriend?"

Silence reigned between them. Leaves rustled in the trees as a gentle gust of wind blew through the trees scattered randomly on grassy land away from the pavement.

Their hair whipped across their face, charmingly messy.

It was just the two of them on the street. There was not one other person in sight.

No distractions, no excuses to run away and avoid the burning question. 

Kim Seokjin had no choice but to give an answer.

The truth was, he really, truly wanted to be in a romantic relationship with Namjoon. If it was only the two of them alone in the entire world, he would have thrown his arms around Namjoon's shoulders and answered him with no hesitation.

And that answer would have been a certain: 'Okay'

A small smile played on his lips as he relished the thought of what could have possibly been a perfect relationship.

Namjoon was someone that he could trust. He was also someone that he loved, from the bottom of his heart. Whether as a friend, a brother, or as something more, he truly loved him.

So why was it that it was so difficult for him to just say yes?

The sound of leaves crunching filled the air. Their lack of conversation amplified every small, insignificant sound around them until it seemed to ring in their ears.

Someone was probably walking their way.

Jin could feel Namjoon's gaze boring into him expectantly. No, not expectantly. Pleadingly.

He found himself unable to face those familiar eyes, because he didn't want to see them crumble when he ultimately gave his answer.

He looked away, finding security in staring at the dried leaves on the ground.

He didnt realise he was staring at the floor until long, slender fingers grasped his chin and gently tilted his head upwards to meet those eyes yet again.

He now had no choice but to look at him straight in the eye.

Maybe facing the pain that he was about to cause his friend head on was for the best. Afterall, it would be over quicker, wouldn't it?

The moment he looked into the brown orbs that enabled the boy in front of him to see, he regretted ever thinking that it would be over at all.

The pleading look in Namjoon's eyes had intensified. He looked so hopeful and... desperate. Desperate for a positive answer. They brimmed with emotion, a kind of emotion that Jin wasn't sure if he was ready accept from him.

The emotion pouring out of Namjoon's eyes was genuine. The look Namjoon was giving him was the look of someone looking at the person they cherished the most in the entire world.

He saw it now, if he declined, he would cause Namjoon eternal pain.

He snapped out of his thoughts when he realised that the sound of dried leaves crunching beneath someone's feet he had heard earlier had become louder.

From the way the leaves crunched rhythmically and consecutively, it was obvious that someone was walking their way.

Someone was about to walk past them, and perhaps get a good look at their faces.

Good enough of a look to be able to remember them vividly enough to recognise them randomly on the street if they were to bump into each other again.